Question about a RO/DI unit

khaari

I'm looking to buy a RO/DI unit before I start my tank. While looking around I found this one. Anyone have any idea if its a good unit for a good price? Or should I go with something else? Any/All suggestions on this welcome.
$99.99
dvoneb aqua
100 Gallon Per Day 6 stage Reverse Osmosis
+ Clear (DI)De-Ionized filter + 4 G Tank + Needle valve
Water Filter Complete System
for both Drinking and Aquarium use
(Retail Price:US$599)
Dimensions
15.5 inches x 6.5 inches x 18 inches (W x L x H)
NSF Stainless Steel 4G Pressurized Water Tank
11.5 inches x 11.5 inches x 14 inches (W x L x H)
Package Content
This is the complete system already assembled and comes with the clear instructions and all filters.
1 x 6-Stage Reverse Osmosis RO+DI System
with 1 x 10" 5 micron Polypropylene sediment Pre-Filter with housing
with 1 x 10" CTO granular activated carbon Pre-Filter with housing
with 1 x 10" 1 micron coconut carbon block Pre-Filter with housing
with 1 x 10" Premiun Quality Housing for Reverse Osmosis Membrane
with 1 x 10" USA Purolite Clear De-Ionized DI Post-Filter
with 1 x 10" in-line granular activated carbon Post-Filter
with 1 x Auto Shut Off Valve
with 1 x Quality Calibrated Ball Valve Flow Restrictor & Quick Membrane Wash twist switch
with 1 x Built in check valve
1 x sealed TFC (made in USA) 100 GPD RO Membrane
1 x NSF Stainless Steel 4G Pressurize Water Storage Tank
1 x Filter Housing Wrench
4 x 60" Color Coded Premium Food Grade Tubing
1 x Lead Free Chrome Plated Standard goose neck Long Reach Faucet
1 x Saddle Clamp Drain Valve
1 x Ball Valve for Water Storage Tank
1 x Feed Water Device: (Please advice in your payment notice, if you need option A or B)
There are 3 different Feed Water Devices:
Regular: 1 x 1/4" Needle Valve
or Option A: 1 x Chrome 3/4" Tee with 1/4" Ball Valve
or Option B: 2 x Chrome 15/16" Tee with 1/4" Ball Valve

rudezuk

I just got mine from Air Water Ice, the Typhoon III.
Seems the general consensus across several chat boards is that the Typhoon III, Max Pure and Filter Guyz units have been the best buy.
That being said, I received excellent service when I purchased mine! Very helpful with questions that I had too.
RO/DI units are pretty close to the same, make sure you get the best filters (DOW), a great warranty and great customer service.

khaari

Ok i've done some searching but I'm still a bit confused. Does it matter how many stages you get? They all seem pretty much the same as far as types of filters that they use. The only difference I see is the stages you can get and brand name. Does it really matter much so long as the water comes out 0 when tested for TDS?

wilsonreef

I agree with rudezuk, I just purchased the Typhoon III after a lot of reading and asking. Mine is suppose to come in tomorrow ( 2-1-07). Can't wait. Mine is the Typhoon III Extreme. From what I've read They're really good. Mine was around $275 including shipping.

jpa0741

Originally Posted by Khaari
I'm looking to buy a RO/DI unit before I start my tank. While looking around I found this one. Anyone have any idea if its a good unit for a good price? Or should I go with something else? Any/All suggestions on this welcome.
$99.99
dvoneb aqua
100 Gallon Per Day 6 stage Reverse Osmosis
+ Clear (DI)De-Ionized filter + 4 G Tank + Needle valve
Water Filter Complete System
for both Drinking and Aquarium use
(Retail Price:US$599)
Dimensions
15.5 inches x 6.5 inches x 18 inches (W x L x H)
NSF Stainless Steel 4G Pressurized Water Tank
11.5 inches x 11.5 inches x 14 inches (W x L x H)
Package Content
This is the complete system already assembled and comes with the clear instructions and all filters.
1 x 6-Stage Reverse Osmosis RO+DI System
with 1 x 10" 5 micron Polypropylene sediment Pre-Filter with housing
with 1 x 10" CTO granular activated carbon Pre-Filter with housing
with 1 x 10" 1 micron coconut carbon block Pre-Filter with housing
with 1 x 10" Premiun Quality Housing for Reverse Osmosis Membrane
with 1 x 10" USA Purolite Clear De-Ionized DI Post-Filter
with 1 x 10" in-line granular activated carbon Post-Filter
with 1 x Auto Shut Off Valve
with 1 x Quality Calibrated Ball Valve Flow Restrictor & Quick Membrane Wash twist switch
with 1 x Built in check valve
1 x sealed TFC (made in USA) 100 GPD RO Membrane
1 x NSF Stainless Steel 4G Pressurize Water Storage Tank
1 x Filter Housing Wrench
4 x 60" Color Coded Premium Food Grade Tubing
1 x Lead Free Chrome Plated Standard goose neck Long Reach Faucet
1 x Saddle Clamp Drain Valve
1 x Ball Valve for Water Storage Tank
1 x Feed Water Device: (Please advice in your payment notice, if you need option A or B)
There are 3 different Feed Water Devices:
Regular: 1 x 1/4" Needle Valve
or Option A: 1 x Chrome 3/4" Tee with 1/4" Ball Valve
or Option B: 2 x Chrome 15/16" Tee with 1/4" Ball Valve
I had this same filter from same seller. I tested the TDS on it and it was at 30+. I bought new filters and put them in and it was still at 30. With that being said here is a pic of my new typoon III that I got today. 0 TDS

nel621

Originally Posted by jpa0741
I had this same filter from same seller. I tested the TDS on it and it was at 30+. I bought new filters and put them in and it was still at 30. With that being said here is a pic of my new typoon III that I got today. 0 TDS

What are the parts with the red wires on them?

jpa0741

Originally Posted by Nel621
What are the parts with the red wires on them?
They are solenoid valves. They are hooked to a float in sump for auto topoff

f14peter

Originally Posted by Khaari
Ok. Thanks for the info. It seems as though the typhoon would be a better way to go then.
The Typhoons are good units, I have a Tiffie III and it works great (0TDS from 130+ TDS source water) and is absurdly easy to hook up. It took me an hour, and that included a trip to the local bigbox homestore to get the corret faucet connections since I bungled and selected the wrong one when I ordered (You get the source connection of your choice free with the unit, garden-hose style or kitchen faucet style).
My unit came with tags attached to all the inlets/outlets, which made hooking it up beau-coup easy and includes a nice bundle of tubing. Also has the fixtures for a permanent installation that physically taps into water source and drain pipes. I didn't need them since I put it in our laundry area and put a Y-fitting on the faucet feeding the washing machine, and stuck the waste-water tube down the washing machine drain.
I also got the float-valve, which I put in the 30-something gallon Brute trashcan that serves as my resevoir.
Although I haven't had to utilize it yet, I understand that AirWaterIce has an outstanding reputation in customer service.
Maybe not the cheapest units around, but I feel real comfortable and satisfied with the two c-notes I dropped on it.

khaari

Wow the typhoon must be a great unit to receive such great feedback from everyone who replied. Thanks, I will definately be placing an order for the typhoon III.
Hey f14peter I see you are located in Chico. My husband is also originally from Chico and we will actually be up there visiting in a couple of months. Nice to see someone else from up that way.