Question about assembling retrofit kit into hood

Ok friday I got a retrofit kit last friday locally used. It came in an ugly wooden box which did have holes on the side for fan, and the screws on fan held a zip-tie which are around the caps on the VHO's.
There are two VHO's on the edges of a bent used reflector which also houses two metal hallide bulbs in between the VHO's.
There are holes on the VHO's for a nail or screw, but I can't fit a hammer or screwdriver around the cap to reach the screw or nail I'm trying to get to. Also the reflector is bent so it's hard to get it through. I'm thinking, wouldn't it be easier to get something to go across it to hold the bulbs in place? Otherwise they'd fall down or atleast as far as the wiring would let them. Also I'm just going to assemble the fans on the front facing back so it'll blow the hot air out of the hood which doesn't have a back beside a brace.
I suppose this sounds really confusing and I'll get a pic tomorrow if needed.

scsinet

Glad you mentioned pics... was just thinking that.
I suspect I know what you are talking about with the VHO endcaps. There is a base piece and then the cap on most aftermarket endcaps (the ones that have the rubber lined locknut to seal the lamp). You can detach the endcap from the base, and get to the screw.

Originally Posted by SCSInet
http:///forum/post/3147397
Glad you mentioned pics... was just thinking that.
I suspect I know what you are talking about with the VHO endcaps. There is a base piece and then the cap on most aftermarket endcaps (the ones that have the rubber lined locknut to seal the lamp). You can detach the endcap from the base, and get to the screw.
Oh didn't know the base detached from the caps. I'll go try it out.

scsinet

Well they do in most of the retrofit endcaps I've seen.
If you search Google Images for "VHO Endcaps" you'll see pics of the endcaps and standoffs that I am talking about. If yours look like those, you're probably in good shape.

Originally Posted by SCSInet
http:///forum/post/3147467
Well they do in most of the retrofit endcaps I've seen.
If you search Google Images for "VHO Endcaps" you'll see pics of the endcaps and standoffs that I am talking about. If yours look like those, you're probably in good shape.
Alrighty well I got the hood set up on the tank and have the VHO's where they wont fall down. Next question, he said the VHO's had about a month left on them, they are only antics, but only the right side of one bulb will light up. Is it the endcaps or bulbs?

scsinet

The lamp wouldn't light at all if it was the endcap, more than likely.
An easy test is to go to Lowes, HD, etc, and get a couple of cheap cool-white 4' fluorescent tubes and install them in the fixture. If they light, you know your equipment is fine. It's not good to run those lamps in there for any long period of time unless the ballast is designed to run both the 110w VHO and the 40w standard lamps (like an Icecap), but firing them up for a few seconds won't hurt.

I'm hoping it's just the bulbs, fiddled with it for a bit and same result. I'll probably order 2x Coralife 175w 20K and one 54w Antic and a 54w 12K VHO bulbs in about a month. Right now I'm focusing on getting the tank cycled. Question: Is it safe to put the bassalat on a timer?

scsinet

Yes, you can put ballasts on timers.
You mention VHO, but you also mention 54w.
Usually 54w denotes a 4 foot, HO T5 lamp. VHO (and 4 foot) is a 110w T12 lamp. Which is it that you have?