Question about bristle worms

scotts2002

I bought a 150 gallon tank with approximately 200 lbs of live rock. There are some huge bristleworms in the tank. I've posted about them in past but was not to worried about them because everyone said that they were more or less scavengers and that I'm overfeeding - which I'm not. I feed once a day sometimes twice, all the food is gone within 3-4 minutes.
When I do feed, the worms come out and I can see them eating (scavenging).
Now to my question: Can bristleworms attack a fish that is sleeping and kill it? :notsure:
I have lost two very good fish for no apparent reason. They were eating fine and interacting with the rest of my fish fine - then dead. One was a little smaller, potters angelfish, and all I found was a skeleton about 24 hours after the last time I saw it. I don't have a mantis shrimp that I know of. Every so often, once every two weeks, I might hear a click sound come from the tank but I have never seen a mantis. I and my son have watch the tank alot over the past year and never saw one.
So, it makes me wonder about the worms. :help:

jakebtc

worms will attack after it's dead
probably do have a mantis they nocturnal if "turnal" at all lol
easy to get one in a lot of rock that size

scotts2002

Maybe I do have a mantis shrimp, but if I do it has never bothered any of my other shrimp though. I have 2 cleaner shrimp, a coral banded, and 2 peppermint shrimp. I have never been able to keep crabs in the tank -- sally lightfoot or arrow. I do have about 10 hermit crabs. Does this help in the diagnosis?
If I do have a mantis, how can I catch it?

jakebtc

they make these traps that are like lil clear acrylic boxes that you leave food in over night and it has like a flap over the end I'll try to find you a pic .. you can make something pretty easy also

alyssia

Originally Posted by ScottS2002
Maybe I do have a mantis shrimp, but if I do it has never bothered any of my other shrimp though. I have 2 cleaner shrimp, a coral banded, and 2 peppermint shrimp. I have never been able to keep crabs in the tank -- sally lightfoot or arrow. I do have about 10 hermit crabs. Does this help in the diagnosis?
If I do have a mantis, how can I catch it?
I've seen mantis traps at the lfs.

jakebtc

best one I think would be the coke or similar bottle because after you make it you can do what yu please with it and it only costs ya % cents but the others are usually under 20$ and are of course reusable