question about calibrating my refractometer

lkb3493

I just got my new refractometer.
The model number is RHS-10ATC if that helps.
My question is whether or not I am understanding the calibration correctly.
I took some distilled water and some water from my tank in separate containers. I let them reach room temperature so that they were the same temp. I put 2 drops of the distilled on the prism and let it sit 30 seconds. I then looked through the eyepiece and adjusted the line so it was at 0. I then put two drops from my tank on the prism and let that sit for 30 seconds. Did I do this right? :notsure: I am wondering because my plastic swingarm hydrometer says 1.025 but the refractometer says 1.020. WHOA! :scared: Big difference. Before I start to slowly raise the salt content in my tank I want to make sure I know that the number is really that low....
Thanks in advance for your help!

chipmaker

Well if you used distilled or rodi water and filled up that cover piece the plastic piece flips over and there wa no air bubbles under it, and then after a few, adjusted the scale so it was at zero and secure it in place again. Its zeroed. Thats it. Swing arms are nortorioius for being crazy.......

lkb3493

Thanks! I just thought it seemed too easy
It looks so much more complicated than it really is. This thing is AWESOME!

zman1

I don't calibrate every or even every other time --lol. I don't wait that long either to view the result. However, I will say what you are doing would/should work.
Yes, swing arms are not accurate and your refractometer is more accurate. Seeing a difference like that is not unusual. Mine was the opposite, the swing arm was reading lower than the refractometer.