Question about Christianity please!

miaheatlvr

Keeping the belief in Jesus as a centerpiece, can anybody tell me the difference, summarized the best as possible, with all due respect of course! The difference between,
Catholic
Christian
Epenicostal
Born-Again Christian
Lutheran
Mormon
Orthodox
Protestant
Chirst the King
Latterday Saints
and any other I might have left out.
Kind Regards!

reefkprz

basicly the differences between each lies in their interpretation of the bible, and little else, IMO. its the same bible. just different interpretations in methods of worship and so on.

mr. guitar

Originally Posted by MiaHeatLvr
Keeping the belief in Jesus as a centerpiece, can anybody tell me the difference, summarized the best as possible, with all due respect of course! The difference between,
Catholic
Christian
Epenicostal
Born-Again Christian
Lutheran
Mormon
Orthodox
Protestant
Chirst the King
Latterday Saints
and any other I might have left out.
Kind Regards!

Born-Again Christians = Christians who rededicate their lives to Christ.
Protestant- Any other Christian denomination other than Catholicism (basically)
My studies are focused more on Pentecostals beliefs.
So I can answer any question you have about Pentecostals.

*Note for everyone....I'll go to any Christian church as long as they believe in the Trinity but my beliefs are Pentecostal.

1journeyman

Christian mean to be a follower of Christ. "Born again Christian" is redundant.
Mormon and Latter Day Saints are the same. While they do reference the Bible, they use the Book of Mormon, so I would exclude them from the list.
You've got a wide variety of terms there. "Protestant" are the Bible based churches that split during the Protestant Reformation from the "church" (Catholic church).
The Catholic church uses a Bible different than many of the Protestant ones. The "apocrypha" or hidden writings, are supposed to be written in the 400 years between the OT writings and the NT writings. Baptism, value of Saints, role of confession and priests, sacraments, etc. all vary from denomination to denomination.

wangotango

Originally Posted by Russy Pelican
Jerky atheist -one who makes other non-believers look bad by injecting their beliefs into someone else's discussion.

Ditto. That was uncalled for, there have been plenty of other religious debate type threads over the past month or two.
-Justin

agent-x

Originally Posted by WangoTango
Ditto. That was uncalled for, there have been plenty of other religious debate type threads over the past month or two.
-Justin
Yeah, leave me and my invisible friend alone.

darknes

Basically, all Christian religions have the same beliefs in Jesus and the trinity (there might be some wacko ones I don't know of, lol). All believe Jesus was the Son of God, died for our Sins, and was Resurrected.
As far as differences, they mainly lie in the rites and traditions rather than in beliefs. I'm Catholic, and don't know all the details of other Christian religions, but I can give you a list of things Catholics do/believe that other religions disagree with:
Catholics follow the pope, cardinals, bishops, and priests.
Priests lead a life of celibacy and are not allowed to marry.
Only men can be priests or bishops.
Catholics follow both the Bible and tradition (this is where many Christian religions are different)
We believe in the Sacraments - Communion, Reconciliation, etc.
Mortal sins must be confessed during Reconciliation in front of a priest.
We believe in praying to Mary and the other Saints in Heaven (we don't worship them, but ask for them to intercede and pray for us).
We believe that during Mass, the bread and wine become Jesus' body and blood (every Mass is a miracle).
We don't necessarily take the Bible literally as many fundamentalists do.
We believe in the infallibility of the Pope.
We also don't believe salvation comes from faith alone, but from faith AND acts of good will (this is probably the biggest difference).
We also believe in a difference between venial and mortal sins, which many Protestants do not.
We believe in Purgatory as a place everyone goes after death before Heaven.

1journeyman

Folks, don't feed the trolls.
If someone makes a post that clearly is out of line report it. One of the Mods will deal with it accordingly. When you respond to them you give them the attention they want and make our jobs more difficult (because we have to delete more posts).
Thanks

mr. guitar

That's cool Darknes. I've never really understood or no one's ever told me what Catholics believe in. I mean some but not as much info as you gave. It's interesting!
Here's what I believe...I'm COG (Church of God) Pentecostal and here's our Declaration of Faith...
--In the verbal inspiration of the Bible.
--In one God eternally existing in three persons; namely, the Father, Son, and Holy Ghost.
--That Jesus Christ is the only begotten Son of the Father, conceived of the Holy Ghost, and born of the Virgin Mary. That Jesus was crucified, buried, and raised from the dead.
--That He ascended to heaven and is today at the right hand of the Father as the Intercessor.
--That all have sinned and come short of the glory of God and that repentance is commanded of God for all and necessary for forgiveness of sins.
--That justification, regeneration, and the new birth are wrought by faith in the blood of Jesus Christ.
--In sanctification subsequent to the new birth, through faith in the blood of Christ; through the Word, and by the Holy Ghost.
--Holiness to be God's standard of living for His people.
--In the baptism with the Holy Ghost subsequent to a clean heart.
--In speaking with other tongues as the Spirit gives utterance and that it is
the initial evidence of the baptism of the Holy Ghost.
--In water baptism by immersion, and all who repent should be baptized in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost.
--Divine healing is provided for all in the atonement.
--In the Lord's Supper and washing of the saints' feet.
--In the premillennial second coming of Jesus. First, to resurrect the righteous dead and to catch away the living saints to Him in the air. Second, to reign on the earth a thousand years.
--In the bodily resurrection; eternal life for the righteous, and eternal punishment for the wicked.

darknes

Mr. Guitar, those beliefs you listed are all the same for Catholics. The only difference I see is that Catholics don't believe in full immersion for Baptism (although some Churches do it).
Our Declaration of Faith is very much the same:
I believe in God, the Father Almighty, the Creator of heaven and earth, and in Jesus Christ, His only Son, our Lord: Who was conceived of the Holy Spirit, born of the Virgin Mary, suffered under Pontius Pilate, was crucified, died, and was buried. He descended into hell.
The third day He arose again from the dead.
He ascended into heaven and sits at the right hand of God the Father Almighty, whence He shall come to judge the living and the dead.
I believe in the Holy Spirit, the holy *catholic church, the communion of saints, the forgiveness of sins, the resurrection of the body, and life everlasting.
As I said, the main differences between Catholics and Protestants are in the belief in Tradition and the various rites.
You mention the Lord's Supper. Do you have Communion at Church? If so, is it symbolic, or do you believe it is really the Lord's body and blood?

mr. guitar

Also what's different is that we believe in speaking in tongues. :)
Lord's Supper info...
I really can't answer your question because I've only been Pentecostal since Jan of this year and I haven't been to church since the beginning of April. It's kinda hard to go to church when you're the ONLY Pentecostal in your ENTIRE family.
but as far as I know Yes we have Communion and not sure about the symbolic part. lol...Yes I know that's bad that I don't know that. lol.

1journeyman

Originally Posted by Mr. Guitar
Also what's different is that we believe in speaking in tongues. :) ...
Many Protestant denominations believe in speaking in tongues. The difference is what the time/place for it is.

darknes

Speaking in tongues? Is that like being possessed by the devil, or being able to speak other languages without learning them?

mr. guitar

Originally Posted by 1journeyman
Many Protestant denominations believe in speaking in tongues. The difference is what the time/place for it is.
Really? That's the first I've heard of it. I mean like speaking in tongues in church...praying in tongues and prophetic messages in tongues.

mr. guitar

Originally Posted by Darknes
Speaking in tongues? Is that like being possessed by the devil, or being able to speak other languages without learning them?
Not being possessed by the devil. Speaking in tongues as in the tongues mentioned in Acts Chapter 2 and 1 Corinthians 12 and 14.

1journeyman

Originally Posted by Mr. Guitar
Really? That's the first I've heard of it. I mean like speaking in tongues in church...
That's where the denominations vary. Many denominations beleive speaking in tongues is a gift, but that it should only be done in church under very specific circumstances (as outlined in 1 Cor. Chpt 14). For instance: "27If anyone speaks in a tongue, two—or at the most three—should speak, one at a time, and someone must interpret. 28If there is no interpreter, the speaker should keep quiet in the church and speak to himself and God...."

jmick

Interesting thread, would like to see someone chime in on the Mormon faith and give some more insight. Good posts so far, has been fairly insightful.

jerthunter

Originally Posted by Jmick
Interesting thread, would like to see someone chime in on the Mormon faith and give some more insight. Good posts so far, has been fairly insightful.
Well I am not Mormon but many people in my extended family are and I also have friends who are Mormon so I can say that it is my experience that they had very similar beliefs to other other forms of christianity I have been exposed to, (i.e. Baptist, Catholic, and Luthern)
I guess that doesn't anwer any specific question about them but that is what I know. Oh, one thing I do know is that Mormon men are expected to devote two years to missonary work. (I believe it is two years since one of my friends just recently got back from S America.)