question about clams

monsinour

Is it dersa or maxima that are the pretty purple/blue?
Is it the dersa that is easier to keep than the maxima?
With my new ATI lights, are they strong enough to penetrate down the 20" or so of water to keep a clam? I have several frags of zoos on the bottom as well as some rics down there that all seem to be doing just fine. I am going to the LFS next week to get a green mandarin and would like to get a clam if my tank will support it. Any and all opinions are welcome.
For the mods who are following me, HI :wave: FUDGE RIPPLES

gemmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monsinour http:///forum/thread/387306/question-about-clams#post_3406890
Is it dersa or maxima that are the pretty purple/blue?
Maxima.
Is it the dersa that is easier to keep than the maxima?
I believe that the derasa is easier to keep than the maxima. Maxima's require more intense lighting.
With my new ATI lights, are they strong enough to penetrate down the 20" or so of water to keep a clam? I have several frags of zoos on the bottom as well as some rics down there that all seem to be doing just fine. I am going to the LFS next week to get a green mandarin and would like to get a clam if my tank will support it. Any and all opinions are welcome.
Honestly, I would go with the derasa as a first clam, since that are a bit easier to care for. I purchased one like 10 months ago and it has been doing quite well. Derasa's need to be placed on the sand and maxima's need to be placed in the rock work, so you COULD get a maxima and just place it very high up in the tank to satisfy its lighting requirements. No matter what clam you decide on, remember to only purchase a specimen that is more than 3 inches long. The morbidity rate is very high for smaller clams, since they require more care and can't tolerate things as well as a larger clam.
My clam (the white goes away):