Question about feeding a Mandarin Dragonet

chriscolumbus

Hey Guys, I have had my aquarium set up for about a month now.. it finished cycling and added a few things, 2 emerald crabs a few hermits, 5 turbo snails, 2 tank raised clowns, a coral banded shrimp and a mandarin dragonet.. not all at the same time of course.. I watched this dragonet at the LFS for about a week he is in great health, constantly moving around searching and all so I bought him.. he was probably one of the best speciments of a dragonet I have seen in a long time.. very fat.. LOL.. I feed my aquarium 2 times a day.. once before work and once when i get home.. in the morning before work I feed flakes and at night I feed about a 1/2 block of frozen brine.. The dragonet loves the brine.. I have not had much time to see if he is eating flakes or not but I know he is eating the brine, he comes out and gets it.. LOL.. Like I said im not sure if he is eating the flake food as well..
my question is should I feed more brine and less flakes.. I just dont want to overfeed the aquarium but i know with the mandarian's metabolism they have to eat a lot and I want to make sure he stays in mint condition.. the clowns eat anything I put in there as well as the Coral banded shrimp..
any suggestions??? how much brine would you consider as an "overfeed"???

waterlogged

A lot of people don't feed flakes because it breaks down so quickly. Brine is not very nutritious. You might want to investigate more types of food.

chriscolumbus

here are some pics.. In the 3rd pic, I cannot find out what kind of plant this is.. It started growing, now grows about 1/8" per day and looks like a fern..

rs1831

I would invest in a hang on the back refugium so your copopod population will stay high.

matt b

hey chris what LFS do u go to?? im in gahanna and go to phishy business/reef systems

sepulatian

The mandarine, sadly, has to go back. He may eat a little frozen but will die from lack of nutrition in your tank. They eat copepods. You do not have any yet. I am very sorry, and I know that you like this fish but please return him before he gets skinny. Flakes and brine will not sustain your other fish for long. Pick up some frozen formula foods.

matt b

Originally Posted by sepulatian
The mandarine, sadly, has to go back. He may eat a little frozen but will die from lack of nutrition in your tank. They eat copepods. You do not have any yet. I am very sorry, and I know that you like this fish but please return him before he gets skinny. Flakes and brine will not sustain your other fish for long. Pick up some frozen formula foods.
ya and im wondering what lfs you got him at bcus both the ones i go to wouldent have sold you this knowing you tank is just set up

chriscolumbus

i just got ordered 1500 copepods and another order of copepod seeded rock for him and my refugium in my sump.. they will be here tuesday.. dont panic.. I got him from Jacks

sepulatian

Originally Posted by ChrisColumbus
i just got ordered 1500 copepods and another order of copepod seeded rock for him and my refugium in my sump.. they will be here tuesday.. dont panic.. I got him from Jacks
I sure hope that he does well for you! Keep us posted.

sepulatian

im going to go tomorrow and pick up some frozen forumula food and see if he likes that too..
The mandarine isn't likely to eat it, but your other fish will appreciate it. Don't buy gel based cubes. Buy frozen formula in a flat package. You can break off a little. Defrost it in a cup/container that is new and never had soap in it (let it set out, don't microwave it). While you are out, pick up some Zoecon or Selcon. Add that to the foods once they get used to them. A little fresh garlic juice will entice them to eat the frozen. Add that to the food while it defrosts.

matt b

oo do u talk to eric?

vanos

I would personally bring him back to the lfs, they need a well established tank to survive-at least 6 months. Buying copepods are expensive and not worth it.

detguy313

i also would suggest taking him back...a mandarin needs a tank that has bee up and running for quites some time...i would say at least a year..i know you like it but i think you really need to taki the mandarin back

nycbob

i wis my mandarin would eat frozen food. mine eats only pods, along w the scooter blenney. i am lucky i hv many pods i my fuge.

miaheatlvr

My Dragonette will not even LOOK at any other food, except look for pods ALL DAY AND NIGHT,, it seems like he likes the hunt!