Question about ilve rock???

krazy302

I just bought some live rock from my lfs and was wondering when I should see anything growing on it?? I am new to sw tanks so I was just wondering when I would see something.. Thanks for any help

S

sea_star

Over the next few weeks, you can expect your rock to start growing different colors of algae on it. It could get covered in green, pink, red, brown, or patches of lots of colors.

am3gross

also at night time if you have a red light then you may be able to see some critters running all over the rock! its pretty cool.
am3gross

glowplug

Is red light the secret? I have looked into my tank with a regular flash light late at night but dont see anything diffrent than the day time, none of this" WOW NEW STUFF"

krazy302

Originally Posted by am3gross
also at night time if you have a red light then you may be able to see some critters running all over the rock! its pretty cool.
am3gross
I have blue cathode lights that I just put in, they should work also right??? I got them at radio shack for $18.00 for my computer but got a new case and didn't use them so I fugured I would use them on my tank...

macjmc

I have a question also. How much base rock vs. live rock do you guys usually use. If I had 80 lbs of total rock how much should be base and how much should be live? Thanks

nudilove

If you can afford all live, get all live, if not, a 50/50 split is fine or 60base and 20 live, it will eventually seed the base rock.