Question About My Goniopora...Help!

stubbbs

For the last week my goniopora has not extended its arms or whatever you call it. It is alivebecause when a crab walks across it, I can see the polyps or whatever move. Its in the Upper third of a 125 reef tank. ph is about 8.2, temp 82, calcium 520, nitrites/nitrates are 0/20, salinity 1.022. I have had it for about 3 months. i am using mh 4 hours and t5 10 hours. lighting totals about 700 watts. about 1 month ago i did move it from the bottom of the tank to the upper 1/2 to 1/3. any ideas...what am i missing.
Thanks

stubbbs

I did that this morning. the top is still green just not extending the polyp looking arms. I will increase the SG and will try to post a picture tomorrow. Thanks for the advice.

drex

sounds mostly like an issue of water, but how old are your bulbs in your light fixture? could be doing more bad then good if they are old..i have heard of that.

stubbbs

if its a water issue...what parameter is off or what am i not testing for? as far as the bulbs, the light is 2 months old. everything else in the tank seems to doing well. the zoos are multiplying, frogspawn looks good, and the ricordia are growing...what else could i be missing? thanks for any input as its greatly appreciated.

gweezpie

If this is a flower pot coral...then you will probably lose him. They are very difficult to keep in captivity and should not even be sold. Move it back and raise your salinity a bit.

stubbbs

raised the salinity slowly over the last 2 days to 1.025 its still closed up tight. I moved it back to the bottom. any other suggestions????
Thanks

reefforbrains

I think it is more about flow than lighting with Gonis.
Different specimens have different preferences but some of them love tons of flow.

b_clark711

Originally Posted by gweezpie
http:///forum/post/2681851
Have you tested for nitrates and is your ph stable? Also do you feed this coral? Is any of the skeleton exposed? Like I said early this is a very difficlut coral to keep. It could be reacting to something you have added to the water or from high nitrates. Do you do regualar water changes?
read this thread
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-10/nftt/index.php
They are definitely difficult to keep, but once established, they are wonderful. I have a green goni, purple goni & the newest addition is the yellow goni. I have had my green & purple goni for about 2 years now, and it's ALL about flow! I had to move my green goni to a spot with higher flow, and the purple to a spot with lower flow. Once you hit it on the head, you will be happy you did. As for the SG, if it's been fine up until now, it's probably not the SG. Although it's best to hover around 1.023-1.025, like I said, they acclimate to just about any SG, but will thrive better in this particular range. If it's been fine up until now, and your SG has remained the same, there is another issue, and with your other coral doing well, it's probably not a lighting issue! They are very picky and it could be an additive that it doesn't like or something along those lines. Either way, keep a close eye!

abe

gonis are like no other coral i have ever kept. i have two in may tank right now, a purple and a green. gonis need to be fed at least once a week with oyster eggs, phytoplankton, zooplankton, and/or coral frenzy. oh, cyclopeeze works too. with out this feeding, they will live for 6 months and quickly decline. gl with yours. i have ignored my green goni for about a month and am seeing the effects. i am doing some TLC right now. spot feeding with coral frenzy every day.
HTH
abe

b_clark711

Originally Posted by abe
http:///forum/post/2705227
gonis are like no other coral i have ever kept. i have two in may tank right now, a purple and a green. gonis need to be fed at least once a week with oyster eggs, phytoplankton, zooplankton, and/or coral frenzy. oh, cyclopeeze works too. with out this feeding, they will live for 6 months and quickly decline. gl with yours. i have ignored my green goni for about a month and am seeing the effects. i am doing some TLC right now. spot feeding with coral frenzy every day.
HTH
abe
Agreed! I don't spot feed my gonis, but I do feed all of my coral. In addition to calcium, strontium, iodine etc. I use SeaChem's Aqua Vitro line and they have something called Fuel, which is unreal, but in addition to all of those I also use Marine Snow which is zooplankton phytoplankton etc. It's the ----!

abe

Originally Posted by B_Clark711
http:///forum/post/2705984
Agreed! I don't spot feed my gonis, but I do feed all of my coral. In addition to calcium, strontium, iodine etc. I use SeaChem's Aqua Vitro line and they have something called Fuel, which is unreal, but in addition to all of those I also use Marine Snow which is zooplankton phytoplankton etc. It's the ----!
i use aquavitro fuel as well.

stubbbs

well my goni looked dead. i moved him back to the original spot, started supplementing with iodine and strontium and within 1 week he started to open back up and IN 2 weeks he was back to normal. i never really feed any of my corals only add some marine snow MAYBE once a week. everything seems to be doing great with the addition of the supplements. Who really knows for sure but lesson learned:
Once you find a good spot for your coral meaning a spot that the corals like not necessarily you...LEAVE THE ALONE!!!

b_clark711

Originally Posted by stubbbs
http:///forum/post/2709286
well my goni looked dead. i moved him back to the original spot, started supplementing with iodine and strontium and within 1 week he started to open back up and IN 2 weeks he was back to normal. i never really feed any of my corals only add some marine snow MAYBE once a week. everything seems to be doing great with the addition of the supplements. Who really knows for sure but lesson learned:
Once you find a good spot for your coral meaning a spot that the corals like not necessarily you...LEAVE THE ALONE!!!
That's pretty much the way I am with my coral as well. Just add calcium, strontium, iodine then supplement feeding with Fuel & Marine Snow. With your goni, the only thing that should alarm you is tissue necrosis. Basically where the "skin" is starting to peel off the base!

stubbbs

i never saw anything peeling away although when he is closed he does have an area on the top that is brown/black. Besides that he looks great since i have moved him back to the original spot.

b_clark711

Originally Posted by stubbbs
http:///forum/post/2710171
i never saw anything peeling away although when he is closed he does have an area on the top that is brown/black. Besides that he looks great since i have moved him back to the original spot.
Is he similar or the same as any of the three in the attached pic? The green one is naturally in the back, the yellow one in the middle and the purple one on the right. This pic was taken a couple of minutes after the lights came on for the day, so the purple one isn't open at all, but that one is the short polyp goni as is the yellow, and as you can see, the green one is the long polyp!

stubbbs

Mine looks like the yellow one in the middle picture. Also, mine is now opened up like yours. I think i will leave hime where he is.