Question about Protein Skimmer?

belothsurf

I've been very satisfied with the Aqua C Remora pro. Simple, and gets out a bunch of stuff. The collection chamber is big, so you don't have to empty it that often too.

petem

I have the Red Sea Prizm ( the smaller more compact one) I bought it online for about $60. It does a fine job.

C

crm13

I personally haven't had any experience with that particular skimmer, but I will say that I have read a handful of posts that claim that is a decent skimmer and works very well.

santi2

hi, i've tried the prism, bakpak, remora and remora pro. i still have the remora and remora pro for my tanks. the prism and bakpak works okay, but it didn't compare to the remoras. if you got $300 to spend, go for the remora pro! good luck.

petem

I"m just curious...what would make a $300 skimmer better than a $60 one. Aside from the fact that it would have a larger waste cup, and make more noise.. Does it filter better? Does it have a larger blade impeller? I mean, mine does the job. It sucks up the solids, and leaves lovely green sludgey foamy stuff in the waste cup, just like it's supposed to. Would it be a waste of money if I went with one best suited for a large size tank?

T

tizzo

Remora Pro here too!!! But the surface skimmer box that comes with the upgraded pump is way big.
It doesn't use an air-line like most, rather it just agitates the he11 outa the water by forcing it through twists and turns built into the box by using a powerful pump. So you don't hafta worry about cleaning and adjusting the air-line. And the collection cup is adjustable, in case you leave town and wanna keep skimming knowing you wont be able to empty it.
And my favorite part... If you have any questions or concerns or just need technical support, their customer service guy is awesome and fast!!!

belothsurf

The Remora is IMO rather quiet. I do agree on the overflow box being big, and I have a hard time keeping my water level at the right level to make it actually "skim the surface". But, I only empty it every couple of weeks, before it get's full, and I keep it at it's lowest level (which is the level it collects the wettest...gunk). But that is some "SMELLY" stuff when I do empty it. When I see that stuff, I can't imagine not having some type of protein skimmer.
Pete, if your $60 skimmer works good, that is great. Nothing wrong with saving some money. And My first skimmer was like $90, but it was a combo filter and skimmer, and was terrible. You also got it off the internet, so it was probably less expensive. I've never been good at saving money...... :D

T

tizzo

Originally posted by belothsurf
and I have a hard time keeping my water level at the right level to make it actually "skim the surface".

I use that as my "line" to know when to add top off, and if I forget or am slow at it... It slurps real loud to tell me so!!! :joy: