question about removing filter media pads

lkb3493

I am currently treating my 55 gallon FOWLR for ich. I have 2 clowns and 1 royal gramma and the assorted inverts. I am using the Kick Ich product and it said to remove the carbon from my filter while the treatment is going on.
my filter is an Emperor 400 with the 2 bio wheels. I removed the carbon chambers but I also had to remove the two chambers that stored carbon with the blue filter media on them. They are sealed so I cannot take out the carbon and put them back in. Will this hurt the bacteria in my tank? :thinking: It has been up and running since early Feb with 20lbs live rock about 10 lbs base rock and 20 lbs live sand etc..Will the bio wheels be sufficient? :notsure: I know when they say you change your filter you are supposed to leave some of that filter media in there. I normally change those out alternating every other month.
Thanks in advance!

mopar9012

its fine. i asked people if this would filter out meds in my tank and they said no and that i would still need to run that other carbon..so im guessing that its not EXACTLY the same thing. i have the same kind of pads you are running and am not having a problem. i have corals in there too.

S

sinner's girl

i've run the tank with bio wheels and no carbon without a problem.

livephish

do either of you notice that the emperior 400 leaves nitrates in the water????? i have two of the emperior 400 on my 55 gal. and my nitrates are always peaking even after i do water changes, i was wonder if either of you had this problem, i was actually thinking about removing 2 of the four bio wheels, and see if that helps, please let me know!!! but to answer the question replace the blue media pads once a month, and replace the carbon in the grey filter every two months or so. the only real thing the carbon does is cut down on the smell.

kynan

The bio wheels are said to increase the nitrates, especially if you have them spinning quick. I can keep my nitrates around 10 to 20 ppm without the wheels, never better than 40 ppm with them in. I think you need to go canister or sump to get them any lower. This is on my 55 gallon setup with ~ 80 lbs of LR, and not much of a bio load.
For comparison, in my 135 with a 55 gallon sump, my nitrates are never over 0 with regular water changes.