Question about Stand Pipe

sly

What do you mean "stand pipe"? Are you talking about a pipe that goes down into the overflow?

zman1

Originally Posted by ModestMouse
Is a Stand Pipe necessary for a built in overflow or is it usually included with it??
Thanks in Advance

Oceanic RR tanks include the stand pipe and return (everything).
AGA RR doesn't - either DIY or buy one from LFS for the AGA (AGA makes a kit). The kit includes stand pipe and return pipe /w flex and bulkheads.
You should use one, unless you like to hear a lot of water gurgle noise.

sly

I got my overflow to run silently by putting a simple strainer into the inlet. I used one of those screens that come with powerheads. It fit into the overflow and backed up the water just enough to stop the gurgling. Just as long as you have enough water in your overflow so that it can't pull down air, you will not get any gurgling.

mandarin w

Originally Posted by ModestMouse
I'm getting an Oceanic Tank....so I guess I dont need build one.

The Durso Stand Pipe is very nice to have. My Oceanic (although very old) came with a perfurated tube.
The thing with the stand pipes is, that they keep the water level in the overflow box at a much higher level, so the water is much quieter when it goes into the overflow box. The water doesn't have to drop so far. only an 1in or 2, verses droping 13- 16inches. Also the level of the overflow box doesn't drop alot during power outages. The more water that stays in the overflow box mean less water that goes into your sump. Alot less likey your sump will flood you floors.
They are very simple to make and very inexpensive maybe cost $20 to make. The instructions can be found at
Durso standpipe.com. They have complete step by step instructions. and pictures of the pieces you will need.

mandarin w

When I made mine, I was nervous, I had never even held a piece of PVC in my hands. I had never done anything like that, I was sure I would mess it up. It was so easy. Almost as easy as eating. I was so proud of it, I had to take it to our club meeting and show everyone. Look what I did. Im sure that just reafirmed that fact that I am nuts to them. But that is ok. I was very proud of myself. And that is how easy they are to make.