Question about sump and cycling

fcatch76

ok, I need some guidance... Starting a sump and wondered if I'm using existing LR from system should I have to cycle. I will be using new sand (not live) for a DSB and the water addition will have the same parameters as tank. Should I have to cycle since the sand is new or is the LR seeded enough to take care of it?

prime311

You always need to cycle. Using live rock will certainly shorten it though. My cycle with live rock took just a few days.

maxalmon

If the sump is plumbed to the main tank and your using cured LR from an established tank then you don't need to cycle nor will you have one

fcatch76

Originally Posted by maxalmon
http:///forum/post/2776746
If the sump is plumbed to the main tank and your using cured LR from an established tank then you don't need to cycle nor will you have one
Ok, thats what I thought, but to clarify...I have a BC29 running for 8 months with a CPR fuge on the back. I am taking rock from the fuge and tank and placing them into the sump with fresh SW mixed two days in advance. The only thing "new" is the sand.

maxalmon

You'll be fine. I've done this many times before. the key is that you are using fully cured LR... I've torn full blown reef tanks down in one day, moved them across town and set them backup the same day...
In reality all your doing is increasing the tanks volume.

prime311

Sorry I misunderstood the op. I thought you were starting a new tank with existing rock, but all you're doing is adding a sump to an existing tank. All a cycle is is a buildup of the bacteria needed to process Ammonia to Nitrite to Nitrate. That bacteria already exists in the tank so there should be no cycle.

fcatch76

ok, just one of those things that was driving me nuts. Kept pondering, yes..no..yes..
thx for making it more convincing to me!