Question about Sump Tubing!!

scott t

I was just wondering if anyone can tell me what is the best Tubing to use for Drain( to the Sump) and Return(to the tank) Can you use just plain Vinyl Tubing for both the Drain and Return. Thanks in advance for you advice.
Scott

meowzer

I just go to the hardware store and buy some of the clear vinyl tubing.....works for me....Just don't get flimzy stuff

btldreef

Yup, vinyl tubing works just fine. I prefer the clear because you can see what is building up in it, the black you can't. Try to get 1" or larger.

oh and also i like to change the canister filter tubes to the clear ones because then you can see when you have to clean them hate the green tubes!

scott t

OK thanks everyone.. I was just wondering and I thought maybe that the clear Vinyl would be the best also.. :)

2quills

The best is Spa Flex (flexible pvc pipe). If you want to use vinyl then you should get black...the clear lets in light and causes excess build up of algae and junk over time. If you're dead set on using clear then at least get the braided (reinforced) type for your drain and return.

meowzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Quills http:///forum/thread/379486/question-about-sump-tubing#post_3299844
The best is Spa Flex (flexible pvc pipe). If you want to use vinyl then you should get black...the clear lets in light and causes excess build up of algae and junk over time. If you're dead set on using clear then at least get the braided (reinforced) type for your drain and return.

I actually have black (came with the Cascades) clear vinyl....only thing they had at Ace...and the Braided (Lowes and Home Depot)

SO I can tell you they all work...:)

yah the gunk is a problem but altleast then you now when to clean your pipes :) and yah the ones with the strings in them are good

2quills

Yep, they all work. For canisters, the vinyl is the easiest way to go. Just need to steer clear of the really cheap stuff that has a tendancy to kink if made into to sharp of a bend like mentioned before. I think with the black you will find your hoses won't get quite as dirty as the clear.

For a sump system...the spa flex (flexible pvc) IMO is the best way to go. You won't have as many sharp bends to work around like you would with standard pvc and it has a super slick lining on the inside of it so there is less friction than vinyl or pvc so the water will flow more easily.

are you talking about this kind of pipe thats flexible.... its made out of rings of plastic and its easier to bend then pvc? lols

2quills

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernestpolska http:///forum/thread/379486/question-about-sump-tubing#post_3299915
are you talking about this kind of pipe thats flexible.... its made out of rings of plastic and its easier to bend then pvc? lols
No, I believe you are thinking of a different flexible pipe...somthing that looks like what you'd find on a vacuum cleaner.

Spa flex is different. It's pvc but it's flexible and can be glued together with other pvc fittings just like you would with regular pvc pipe. You can usually find it in white or black...most of the aquarium supply sites sell it.

scott t

Thanks guys for the advice on the tubing, I will have to go to my local Lowes and see if they have it there. Nice pic there 2quills