Question about water quality

bemaniac

Just wondering: would adding carbon to the sump allow me to get away with using tap water (& salt of course) for water changes instead of RO/DI? The tap water here is fairly decent (Oakland, CA). Would using water conditioner make any difference?
Any thoughts?

merredeth

Originally Posted by bemaniac
Just wondering: would adding carbon to the sump allow me to get away with using tap water (& salt of course) for water changes instead of RO/DI? The tap water here is fairly decent (Oakland, CA). Would using water conditioner make any difference?
Any thoughts?
I wouldn't use anything but RO or RO/DI water for a tank. I don't like using water additives.
Believe me when I say this, getting RO or RO/DI water is going to save you many headaches.
Denise M.

zanoshanox

I second the above post. I have been reefkeeping for almost two years now and about 2 months ago I started using RO water. I have noticed a great improvement in the health or my corals, the overall appearance of my tank, and my water quality.

bemaniac

I understand. Although from the sounds of it, acquiring RO/DI is going to cause me just as many headaches. I can either buy it from my LFS for $1 per gallon or make it myself, but it seems like I'd have to keep a large amount of it on hand.

X

xoxox

I understand. Although from the sounds of it, acquiring RO/DI is going to cause me just as many headaches. I can either buy it from my LFS for $1 per gallon or make it myself, but it seems like I'd have to keep a large amount of it on hand.
Wally world (walmart) sells it for less, they have an RO machine in most all of their stores.

merredeth

You can get RO water from the local WalMart Superstore for $1.65 for 5 gallons. All Walmart Superstores use Culligan for R/O water.
I buy it in five gallon refill jugs and put all of it in a plastic garbage can and add my salt with a heater and powerhead, premixing everything so it is ready to go when I need to do a water change. This way, if there is an emergency water change needed, everything is done.
Denise M.

bemaniac

Another thing... my LFS sells ocean water for $1 per gallon. They say it's ultimately cheaper than mixing my own SW. Is this true? roughly how much money (in salt) would it cost me to mix my own water?

hagfish

Another thing... my LFS sells ocean water for $1 per gallon. They say it's ultimately cheaper than mixing my own SW. Is this true? roughly how much money (in salt) would it cost me to mix my own water?
This is simple. The salt mixes typically tell you how many gallons they are good for. I buy coralife buckets that are good for 150 gallons. Fish stores around me sell them for about $35 with tax. When you consider that it is possible to get an RO/DI filter for just over $100 I'd have to say your LFS is wrong.
For the original poster I say that for fish only, it doesn't matter quite as much. But I would still get RO/DI. And I wouldn't buy jugs or anything, I would get the RO unit. They pay for themselves pretty quickly. I probably bought $200 of water before buying my RO unit which cost about $200. By now I probably would have spent $500 on water.
One problem with tap water is that it could be inconsistent. You might have tested it on the best water quality day of the year. The quality typically fluctuates from season to season because the water company has to change the chemicals they add to the water to prevent algae and bacteria growth. Plus, SW fish have much higher demands than we do. I've tested my tap water before and it actually had some ammonia in it. Also, if you get a TDS meter you will likely find that your tap water has 200-300 ppm (of what, who knows). My RO unit brings that all the way down to ZERO!

bemaniac

OK. Well I can get a good RO/DI unit used for $90 nearby. I was also wondering. For a 55 gallon tank, how much pre-mixed saltwater should I keep on hand?

merredeth

OK. Well I can get a good RO/DI unit used for $90 nearby. I was also wondering. For a 55 gallon tank, how much pre-mixed saltwater should I keep on hand?
I would say keep 25 gallons around as if you get lazy with the water changing, you have more than enough for any emergency that you may have and you can have a few days worth of changes if you use Melafix or Pimafix since medications can require daily water changes.
Denise M.

merredeth

Would keeping it in a garbage can with a lid be fine, or does it need to be further sealed?
I use one I purchased one at Walmart for my saltwater mixing and just use the lid. Make sure it is plastic. Some people recommend food grade plastic, but the one I purchased hasn't given me any problems. I rinsed it out well before I made my first batch of water and it has been filled since.
Reinforce the plastic garbage cans with duct tape, going horizonal and vertical around the can as water is about 8 pounds per gallon and the garbage cans will stretch and burst if you don't.
If you want to get fancy, you can put a plastic faucet on the bottom or you can do like I do. An extra powerhead with tubing sitting inside it and just plug that one in when you need water for the tank.
Denise M.