Question about Xenia?

sltwtrfan

My Xenia seems to be doing fine, though the arms are really really thin and elongated. Is this normal for some Xenia's?

bronco300

there are some called elongata
some have very long tenticles and others short...just depends what type...or if they are stratching for light

chadman

i have a TON of xenia...where do you have the xenia in your tank? xenia doesn't really get nutrients from food rather from the light so if they are not getting enought like then just liek polyps they will stretch for light...i would say that maybe you should put them up towards the light...xenia likes a lot of flow and a lot of light...hope this helps

sltwtrfan

thanks. I think the light is fine. I have 5 watts per gallon and the xenia is mid center of the tank. The flow on it is decent. I think it is just an elongated xenia.

emonemo

Ive got the same issue. My xenia was a free floater i "rescued
from the lfs for $5. I havea very pourus rock so i turned my flow down and let it sit for a day and it attached. Ive got a 65w 50/50 and a 15w 50/50 in my 20g. (gonna have a 65x2 in a few days)
Anyways, same thing, they are getting looooong and are not pulsing.
ALSO some have "knobs" halfway up the length of the shaft and it looks like they are pinching.. are they getting ready to let one go for seeding, or how what is it???

sltwtrfan

hmmm, that last bit was sort of confusing. Mine are pulsing. do you supplement your tank? i got my Xenia from a guy I met locally for 5 bucks a piece. It seems to be growing lots of new arms and the stalks look healthy. Just really skinny arms. I'm guessing that is just going to be normal for mine.

bronco300

Originally Posted by EmoNemo
Ive got the same issue. My xenia was a free floater i "rescued
from the lfs for $5. I havea very pourus rock so i turned my flow down and let it sit for a day and it attached. Ive got a 65w 50/50 and a 15w 50/50 in my 20g. (gonna have a 65x2 in a few days)
Anyways, same thing, they are getting looooong and are not pulsing.
ALSO some have "knobs" halfway up the length of the shaft and it looks like they are pinching.. are they getting ready to let one go for seeding, or how what is it???

i'm not sure either what you mean by knobs, would need a pic..i've never known of xenia pinching themselves off...mine never had...and not pulsing may not mean anything...sometimes it could be stretching for light, i have had mine fall in holes to come back out a week later stretching, unpulsing till it gets closer, i think once you get the dual 65w on you may have better luck with pulsing, but who knows, thats just my expereince, these xenias are crazy mystery corals.