Question: Critters for LiveSand not DSB

fishgirl

I've done some research, but nothing explains this very clearly (or maybe I'm just stupid). :rolleyes:
I am finally getting serious about buying a 70 gallon FOWLR (have 30 gal FO right now) I plan on a Berlin protien skimmer, 3 watts per gallon of lighting (PC and VHO) and 60-70lbs liverock. For substrate CaribSea aragonite sand seeded with Natures Ocean livesand from this site. I do not want a DSB, just a 1/2" or 1" for looks - Nature's ocean does not have critters, I hear, so QUESTION: Do I absolutly need something to stir my sand? I will have a clean up crew of crabs, snails, and shrimps, but do I need like a cucumber or starfish or anything??
Please help, I'm trying to price everything out! :rolleyes: If I did not give enough tank details, please inform me.

dugan

I'm certainly no expert, but I've always run my tanks with about 1"-1.5" of sand and a cleanup crew of snails, crabs & shrimp. No problems.
I would imagine a sand stirrer would be more important if you were going with a DSB. I'm sure someone will correct me if that's wrong! :D
Katie

mr . salty

You could get a gobie to keep the sand clean. The hermits will only come out at night,and really tend to stay more on the rock.At least mine do.My gobie keeps the sand spotless...

burnnspy

The sand will be fine, but you can expect a algae problem in the future with so little sand and no nitrate reduction.
Be advised that you will have to do frequent water changes once the tank is matured.
BurnNSpy

K

krustytheclownfish

I have a question that would fit in well here. Why do you use sand shifters for a DSB? Wouldn't that ruin its purpose as the shifters would oxygenate the whole sand bed and then there would be no anaerobic bacteria?

c marlowe

With quality RO/DI water and 70 pounds of hopefully porous rock, as long as overfeeding isn't an issue, and a proper skimmer is installed, the nitrates can remain next to zero without a DSB. Although I prefer a DSB, people did just fine before they became the fad. Everyone without a DSB will not have an algae problem.

c marlowe

Krusty, you are correct. You don't want to disturb a DSB very much at all. Mainly very small creatures like worms or creatures that stay on the very top of the bed. Anaerobic conditions can be best defined as not having enough O2 for aerobic activity, but there is still a slight amount present. Anoxic areas are O2 free. You just don't want fish that burrow or any other creature that would bring in massive amounts of O2 and ruin the bed in terms of nitrate reduction by anaerobic bacteria.

fishgirl

Thanks everyone, you've been a lot of help! :)
BurnNspy, as far as the possible future algea bloom on sand, I was planning on getting a lawnmower blennie; would that work? And I do frequent water changes anyways, no big deal, and I plan on adding caluerpa. I know there are a lot of people who love DSBs but I wanted to try a tank w/o out it.