Question For Beth

Hi Beth I'm on the 4th day of Marcyn 2 on my Lion Fish He is in a 20 Gallon Hospital tank. I am doing a 10 gallon water change every day because of the high Ammonia in the water and 2

[hr]
of Marcyn 2 after each water change. The Problem is there is no improvment yet. To me it does not look like pop eye, it looks like a clear bubble aroung his eye. I'm tempted to try and deflate it with a pin, and put him back in his reg tank. What do you think???? Any input would be greatly apprciated Mike

beth

Administrator
Staff member
If you have ammonia in the tank, no fish is going to get well no matter what the treatment!
Do mass water changes to get rid of that ammonia. If your display tank water is good, use water from that thank to change out the water in your main tank. What do you have for filtration in that tank? Have any carbon? How is the fish eating?
Have a pic of the fish's eye? Popeye looks like the eye is bulging out. If he is eating fine, etc., with no other symptoms, it may be best to reacclimate him to the main tank.
What other symptoms is the fish exp?

As I said I have been changing water every day. Of Corse the fish won't eat in the QT tank, he is not happy there As far as carbon I can't use it it will remove Medicine. I use the Penquin Bio wheel filter in the tank. His eye in not popping out it Looks like a Big Bubble around it

beth

Administrator
Staff member
If the eye looks normal beneath the "bubble" then you can attempt to pop it, using a sterilize very small pin needle.
You can also use carbon for 1-2 hrs just prior to redosing with antibiotics. Which is what I recommend. Eliminiating ammonia is more important than dosing with antibiotics at this point.