Question for Ophiura

marvida

OK,
So I appear to have been blessed with a baby Ophiomastix annulosa. Is there anything I need to know to ensure it's survivability?
As far as feeding, the little guy has a healthy appetite, it seems to share it's parental unit's preference to chopped clams.
I don't plan on adding any new inhabitants to the tank but is there anything I need to avoid?
From tip to tip it's approx. 23mm in size. Do you have any projections on growth rates?
Is it safe to assume that there was, at one time, a Mr.Ophiomastix annulosa
in the picture and that this won't happen again?
Thanks!
Ken

ophiura

Nope...no special care that I can think of other than what you are doing. Obviously it has hung around this long. Don't plan on getting triggers, puffers, etc! LOL. As for the Mr Ophiomastix, well, that is not for sure....it is definitely possible that the adult you have was fertilized in the wild, brooded the offspring, and they were released in the tank. However, hermaphroditic brittlestars are not uncommon, so there would be the potential for others. I am not sure in this species (and not sure if anyone knows...not a lot of money in it :D ). If you do get more, it would be interesting to know.