question for temp. controller users

fatboyjoe

I'm ready to pull the trigger and buy a ranco 2 stage controller, as my fancy digital pro-heat heater just failed. could have been a disaster. I want to run a heater and cooling fans on this controller. my heater setup was 2 250 watt. heaters with built-in controllers in the sump of my 90 gal. reef tank. I was thinking of using one 500 watt. heating element( heater without a thermostat) controlled by the ranco in my sump. My question is, is it safe using only one heating element? I know alot of you use two heaters w/therm. in you set-up for safety reasons. could this safely work for me?

acrylic51

I've always used 1 big heater with controller, but it's backed up with a controller as a safety, but 2 would be the ideal way to go as a safety margin.....if 1 would stick "on" not a big deal......with 1 large heater it could spell disaster.

fatboyjoe

how would one heating element cause disaster? I see more problems using multiple heaters with built-it controllers. that sounds more like a disaster waiting to happen to me. anybody else have any thoughts?

acrylic51

I'd loan you my 1000w heater and we could magically make it over function while everyone is away at work during the day, and it would cook your tank.......A heater that is to big, that would stick on is a nightmare, whereas if you had 2 smaller heaters combined for the heating range you need.....if 1 were to stick it wouldn't necessarily cause headaches, because it alone isn't enough to over heat the tank alone.....