Question for those who make their own fish food

nietzsche

i bought a packaged mixed combo mix that the store makes, but it doesnt say what's in it. from what i can guess it might be crab meat, some oysters, some white meat, and some dark brown meat that might be catfish? what is and is not usable to make food for the fish?
heres some pics:

dragonboy

The crab meat looks like imitation crab meat I would get each separately in case you dunno what are those meat in there.

renogaw

i wouldn't trust it. the brown stuff looks like muscles though.
here's my lovely homemade food!

reefkprz

the fake crab in that store mix is cooked, you shouldnt feed that to your tank. while the other ingeredients may be raw fake crab and real crab comes precooked from your grocers.

nietzsche

not sure what the white meat is, someone had suggesed bass? i think those are mussles though. having a hard time looking for a place that sells seafood uncooked. theres a place im going to go to tomorrow to try to find some stuff

renogaw

Originally Posted by nietzsche
not sure what the white meat is, someone had suggesed bass? i think those are mussles though. having a hard time looking for a place that sells seafood uncooked. theres a place im going to go to tomorrow to try to find some stuff

your grocery stores dont sell raw seafood?

nietzsche

Originally Posted by renogaw
your grocery stores dont sell raw seafood?
they do but it either has some type of seasoning or it's cooked or its just not what im looking for
i found a couple of other places that sell seafood only so im going to try that

matt b

yummy

hefner413

that looks like so many things other than fish food. mmmmmm good.
just had a thought - any of you use the grating that we use in frag tanks to pour their homemade food into and freeze? making cubes?

renogaw

its easy enough to just break off pieces of this food, but if you wanted you could always do that. i don't think it would be enough though.
i can't spell it properly enough to search for it, but there is something called popone (itallian) that uses similar recipes for feeding SPS tanks, and they reuse the little trays that mysid comes in.

renogaw

Originally Posted by nietzsche
they do but it either has some type of seasoning or it's cooked or its just not what im looking for
i found a couple of other places that sell seafood only so im going to try that

weird... i guess it pays to live near the atlantic :)

reefkprz

weird... i guess it pays to live near the atlantic :)
I'll second that. seafood sellers are a dima a dozen up here, plus I know enough lobsterman to get pretty much anything that could ever get into a lobstertrap. you'd be amazed at what you find in lobstertraps.