Question of hammer corals and the colors they come in

mrdc

I've been looking at getting some different color hammer corals like purple, peach and orange but I have been wondering if these not so commonly seen colors are harder to keep than your more common green hammers. One guy that sells them told me the care requirements for all the different color hammers are the same but that some colors may grow slower than others. What do you think?

btldreef

I've never had any issues with care/growth with different colors. I will say that my Aussie neon green wall hammer definitely preferred slightly higher lighting than my purple tipped hammers, but that may have just been because my purple tips had been under T5's for years and got used to a little less intense light. I've kept orange, purple, regular green etc all next to each other on the same level of flow and lighting without much issues. As far as hardiness (because my clown beats the cr@p out of them), the purples and basic greens seem to hold up the best.

mrdc

Thanks for the info. I have my frogspawn and hammer corals bunched up with no issues. When I get the other colors of hammer, I plan to put them in with them and keep them under observation.

btldreef

That's the best thing, just observe them. Also depends on what lighting they've been kept under before you buy them/how long the LFS has had them under that lighting. I'm actually on the hunt for a larger orange hammer right now, but my LFS wants WAY too much for the one they have and it's got barnacles in it which is usually a bad sign (barnacles tend to kill wall hammers).

mr. limpid

I have never seen any other colors than shades of green. Is this a LFS did you see these corals personally? I looked them up on line saw brown/green ones and then there was a golden hammer which claims to be yellow, picture didn't look like it. If you can get a picture of them and post I would like to see them.

btldreef

You've never seen the orange or aussie neon green or golden? There are some browned out ones that they try and pass off as orange, but orange euphyllias do occur naturally, it's not something the LFS just dyes.
My golden torch was BEAUTIFUL! It never photographed well, but it was gold. Dreaded brown jelly disease did that one and most of my LPS in :-(

mrdc

So is it barnacles that can kill wall hammers?
I have never seen orange or puprple hammers locally but I have a place out in Texas that I deal with sometimes. I am currently waiting on some prices. But here is a picture or some

mr. limpid

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTLDreef http:///t/390404/question-of-hammer-corals-and-the-colors-they-come-in#post_3457104
You've never seen the orange or aussie neon green or golden? There are some browned out ones that they try and pass off as orange, but orange euphyllias do occur naturally, it's not something the LFS just dyes.
My golden torch was BEAUTIFUL! It never photographed well, but it was gold. Dreaded brown jelly disease did that one and most of my LPS in :-(
they sound beautiful, I've gone to many shops around Chicago, never ran into other than green. There's a shop that sell rare coral, I've seen a yellow brain and orange plate but no orange, purple or golden hammers. I would love a orange. I don't even see them on line for sale.

btldreef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Limpid http:///t/390404/question-of-hammer-corals-and-the-colors-they-come-in#post_3457108
they sound beautiful, I've gone to many shops around Chicago, never ran into other than green. There's a shop that sell rare coral, I've seen a yellow brain and orange plate but no orange, purple or golden hammers. I would love a orange. I don't even see them on line for sale.
The dr's and unique corals get them from time to time. Usually only found in the WYSIWYG sections of the sites.