question on 230 stocking

blaze86

ive come up with a new twist on my plans for my 230. see what you guys think. ps keep in mind i have pre arranged homes for the sharks that will out grow the tank. thanks in advance
1 wobbegong 12-14in
1 grey smoothhound 11-12in
1 cali ray 8-10in
1 minatius grouper 8in
1 panther grouper 10-11in
filtration: sump rated for a 400 gallon, berlin xl skimmer, aragonite sand, and 100lbs of base rock iwaki return not sure on the gph until i pick the sytem up on the 15th?? so what do yall think?

moray345

sounds pretty good but you will probably have to upgrade really soon how big a tank you have for the sharks:notsure:

tony detroit

I'd say go with the ray and the groupers. Ditch the sharks. Look into an epaulette if you have to have a shark.

flatzboy

I would look into a higher end skimmer such as a mrc becket, asm needlewheel, geo needlewheel, or one of those new euro-reef recirclulating needlewheel skimmers.:D

blaze86

well i dont exactly have 500 bucks to drop on a skimmer so ill settle for the berlin XL. tony you dont think the sharks would work?????

civickid

both of them sharks need 1000+ when they get full grown so i dont think it is a good idea. You could keep a horn for a while if you dont have that much rock in your tank.

blaze86

dude you need to read the original post about the shark situation before giveing me tank size minimums for full grown sharks. i never expected a 12 foot wobbe to live in a 230. give it some thought:hilarious :hilarious

tony detroit

My sharks weren't even a year old and they were too big for my 300gal. A local guy had a ornate wobby I believe as a baby and it is now two and a half feet and its only been 2 years at the most.

civickid

hey blaze you need to get a tank that houses the sharks for the remander if there life. I was just telling you what you will need when they get full grown. :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes:

flatzboy

Originally posted by blaze86
well i dont exactly have 500 bucks to drop on a skimmer so ill settle for the berlin XL. tony you dont think the sharks would work?????

Well the waste the animals you want is so enormous that I don't think a crappy berlin skimmer will even be close to big enough. Imo, what are you doing setting up a 230g. tank if you can't afford a $500 skimmer?????:thinking: :nope:

falconred

thats what im talkin bout.so now your 500.00 skimmer turned into 750 when you buy the right skimmer and you will need a better skimmer

sharksbait

You might want to think again when it comes to the wobbegong.They are very aggressive sharks and will try to eat pretty much anything they can fit in their mouths including other sharks.Have you thought about bamboo sharks? they only get about 3 to 3.5 feet so you could keep them longer and they are relatively cheap and pretty peaceful but they love to eat damsels.........

jeegan

Have you thought about a Remora as opposed to a shark? I am no expert in them, by any means, but everything I have read says they get to just 18" long and active and hardier then sharks. I know the one I saw a few years back was very playful, bouncing all around the tank, he would follow you around and come to the top of the water. They are very cool looking and affordable, around $40 to $50. Just a thought.

moraym

My LFS has a remora that's probably 20", been there for years. It's not too active, but i'd chalk that up to age more than anything. Hadn't thought about remoras, but youre right, they would make a nice addition to that tank.