Question on glue for frags w/pics

flower

I bought a glue for frags. I got tired of my new corals not staying put. The advertisement said I could use this underwater. So I ordered it.
I had to order something because no stores around here has anything I can use without leaving it out to cure for 24 hours (marine putty). Not doable for a coral.
This arrived in the mail today. It came with directions as you can see, but it doesn’t say if it can be used underwater like the advertisement said.
Is anyone familiar with this??? I am afraid to use it without checking first.

jpa0741

That is the same as any other super glue gel that you can buy any where. Yes it will work underwater and perfectly safe. When mounting frags already on a plug I like to use super glue, epoxy putty, super glue sandwhich. The super glue holds it in place while the epoxy hardens. Just don't use the epoxy directly on the coral itself.

flower

Originally Posted by jpa0741
http:///forum/post/2998686
That is the same as any other super glue gel that you can buy any where. Yes it will work underwater and perfectly safe. When mounting frags already on a plug I like to use super glue, epoxy putty, super glue sandwhich. The super glue holds it in place while the epoxy hardens. Just don't use the epoxy directly on the coral itself.
Please don't think of me as stupid, but...
I want to glue
my new corals, so they will not fall face first into the sand. I have never done so.
So saying..use it like any other glue, does not help me too much. I need instructions: step by step since the glue came with none.
I was thinking perhaps I need to hold the bottom only of the frag out of water, apply the glue then quick attach it to the larger rock in the aquarium, and hold it in place for the 25 seconds.
Is this safe to do , and will it work?
Thanks for you help.

wattsupdoc

OK, what was meant was super glue gel is the standard method of mounting frags. Some use an epoxy also, but most use super glue gel. Also, it will not harm your corals to be out of water for a little while. Just try not to let them get too cold. meaning a ceiling fan blowing right on them. To attach(to larger rocks) a coral that is already attached to something like rock rubble or reef plug, this is what I do. Select the place you want the coral to live. Then look at the contact points where the two rocks(plug and rock etc.) meet. Then remove the coral from the tank and blot the area to be glues dry with a paper towel. Then goop the SGG up a lot on the dry surface. Return the coral to the tank to the spot you want it and press and wiggle wiggle wiggle Slightly...gently)n hold it there for 20-30 seconds or so. Done deal.

Please don't think that we would think you as being stupid as the only stupid question is the one not asked.!

wattsupdoc

I'll add that gooping the glue up helps to form a nice little pocket to fill gaps between the surfaces, like little holes or whatever. Also, as soon as the gel contacts the water there will be a "membrane sorta where the glue has cured. Wiggling it while in place causes the rock to penetrate this membrane allowing for adhesion. Thus another good reason to goop it up good. I usually buy the big tubes of gel like 10g. jobbers. I tend to get 4 or 5 glued solidly into place with one tube. You really cant use too much, but can definitely not use enough.
Have fun!

wattsupdoc

Just wondering what you paid for that tube? I noticed it was 20 grams as opposed to only 10, which is the biggest I have found. also if you could PM me with where you got it from?

flower

I ordered a skimmer from a certian place I am not allowed to mention here. I needed to purchase something more so I wouldn't have to pay shipping.
I bought 4 tubes of this glue for $6.95 each. The name of the unmentioned place has water, pronounced aqua in spanish, and the word cave in it.

I hope this gives enough info to help you. If not PM me and I will give you my own personal e-mail
Thanks again for all the help.

jpa0741

Originally Posted by Flower
http:///forum/post/2998708
Please don't think of me as stupid, but...
I want to glue
my new corals, so they will not fall face first into the sand. I have never done so.
So saying..use it like any other glue, does not help me too much. I need instructions: step by step since the glue came with none.
I was thinking perhaps I need to hold the bottom only of the frag out of water, apply the glue then quick attach it to the larger rock in the aquarium, and hold it in place for the 25 seconds.
Is this safe to do , and will it work?
Thanks for you help.
I didn't say use like any other but what I ment was you can buy this any where next time you need some. It is just super glue gel. Plus I would guess you paid more for it being aquarium related. You got some good advice on how to use it. I take the frag out of the water and place a glob of glue on the plug, then a ball of putty then more glue on the bottom of the putty. Then I simply just stick it where ever I want it under water.

flower

Thank you. I have used the putty before. If it gets bumped it detaches. Does the glue do that as well?

wattsupdoc

Originally Posted by Flower
http:///forum/post/2998745
Thank you. I have used the putty before. If it gets bumped it detaches. Does the glue do that as well?

Gotcha, I know exactly where your reffering. BTW. That is a good price being as 1 tube of the 10g SGG is like 6 bucks.
You did good girl! I'll have to order some from them. Thanks!

wattsupdoc

Use it just like a described and it will stick rather well. However it can be broke free, it just depends on how good a bond you end uop with. It can be hit and miss sometimes. If it doesnt stick good the first time, do it again.