Question on Low PH

kengaroo

The PH in my tank is falling slowly. When I started my tank 10 weeks ago, it was at 8.2. Since then it has decline to 8.0 and now at 7.9. I had a bag of carbon in a mesh bag in my sump for a month, but I removed it a week ago.
My water parameters are as follow:
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 10
PH 7.9
I don't have a alkanline test kit. I will be getting one.
36lb live rock
60lb sand (40lb live sand and 20lb argagonite sand)
protein skimmer
I am using tap water with tap water conditioners. 10% water change every 2 weeks on my 46g tank.
Any suggestions on how to increase the PH? Should I use marine buffers?

nanahugs

Hi,
I had low PH in both my 20G QT tank and my 40G tank that is still cyclying. I read about using 1tsp baking soda per 20G of water to raise the PH but my husband bought Marine buffer from Seachem which raises and maintains the PH to 8.3. This product has worked for us. With the baking soda treatment you need to monitor the tank so that you do not raise it to high.
I hope this helps.
~Heidi

milomlo

Well I have a PH problem as well. So far I have been told by everyone NOT to add the buffer. You are suppose to check your alkalinity and calcium and they all play an important part together. However if your tank is cycling you will not be able to keep you PH under control. I am new as well, but I will suggest to you what was suggested to me.
Check your calcium and your alk then post your results. Someone should be along shortly to help more.

lepete

Check your salt mix after mixing (actually mixing, ala powerhead pumping) a new batch overnight. What is its pH level?
When do you measure your pH? Right before the photo periods and right after it. Your pH will be low right before the day hours and high right after you turn off your lights.
How's your flow? Low flow may cause low pH. This is due to the excess CO2 in the water.
You can measure if you have high CO2 in the water. The basic concept is to take some sample out from your main tank. Aerate it for a few hours so the CO2 may be released into the air. Measure the pH of the sample water and the aquarium water. If they both have the same pH, you dont have excess CO2. If the pH of the sample water is higher, you have too much CO2 in your aquarium.
Does it swing widely? Like more than .5 pH, 8.5 during daylight, 8.0 during night time? If so, you need more buffer.