Question on QT'ing, How many fish....

E

emeralcrab

I am wondering how many people that QT their fish have fish that don't get anything? Are the odds higher that they normally do? Or do a lot of them not get anything? Just wondering, it just seems like so many people get ich and blah blah blah when aquiring new fish.
I have 4 in QT now, two coming out of hypo; did without any sign of problem, just to be on the safe side.(they are in 29g) And two new ones I just got on Halloween, a flame hawk and a tail spot blennie. Flame is in rubbermate tub, tail spot in 10g. so far no sign of problems on either one of them. Will wait to see if they need any treatment.
Just wondering..... :thinking:

teco

I QT all fish. Ive been lucky I guess, the only fish I ever had problems with was a Coral Beauty with HLLE, not a pathogen by the way. I also use a 29 and keep it running all the time.
Anyway, even though we might not have a problem most of the time, it just takes one time to infect a whole system.
For me, its just too big a risk, Id hate to tear down the tank to treat the fish and then have to let the display rest for 2 months.

renogaw

i started doing this hobby expecting to QT everything. it really stinks to see a little fish stuck in a 20 gallon tank with no tankmates for 3 weeks, but i'd rather not kill or have to deal with treating my other fish.
its an insurance policy. just like car and :scared: life insurance, you pay for it expecting to waste your money on a yearly basis totally hoping you don't have to use it. but when you get your sick fish in a controlled environment instead of your display tank, you'll be glad you spent the money.
also, on the amount of fish to qt at once. general rule of thumb is 1 fish at a time. that way you're not treating more than one fish if only one is sick. but i'd think if you bought a paired set of percs, or say a schooling fish that you would buy three of, you'd prolly want to qt them together.

E

emeralcrab

Oh I am all for QT'ing...I actually have 3 QTs going right now. I was just curious as to how many of the fish that people QT actually get something. I will always QT new fish and hope everyone would because I learned my lesson with some of my first fish and it isn't worth not QT'ing.
I mean I hope that the two new ones I got don't get anything, so that after 3-4 weeks they can go into DT tanks, but I wouldn't be surprised it they did get something. So I was wondering what % of new fish get sick.
I hope this makes since??????as to what I am asking....