Question on RO/DI Filter

bad_fish

I have been considering a RO/DI filter, I saw a 5-stage one at Sam's Club for only $150.
I have seen comments on this page saying that they waste a lot of water. I believe someone suggested installing them in-line with a washer or dishwasher.
Can anyone explain what the RO filter is doing to waste the water? I thoght it would work like other filters, a gallon of water in is roughly a gallon of water out only cleaner. Is this not the case? And by installing inline with a dishwasher, etc. you only run the filter when you run the appliance?
Thank for any information.
bad

broomer5

Hey bad !
Briefly, the water pressure in your home pushes the water through the RO membrane.
Most of the crud/minerals/toxins do not pass through this membrane. As your tap/freshwater is under pressure, it is forced through the membrane, but most of the bad stuff can't get through.
The crud would accumulate on the membrane and foul it eventually. Sorta plug it up like a drip coffee filter used more than it should be ( been there LOL ).
So, in order for it to work right, the crud has to be eliminated.
This is where the waste water comes in.
As some of the freshwater moves through the membrane and on to the DI cartridge, the cruddy water gets drained off in front of the membrane where it would normally accumulate.
This keeps the membrane clean - and is how most RO units are designed.
Everytime we flush a toilet - we waste 4-5 gallons of water, and rarely even think about it.
If you have a 4:1 waste to RO water unit - it's like getting 1 gallon of RO water - and flushing your toilet once.
Water normally is not that expensive in most areas.
People install the "drain" sometimes in a waste line of their house - to drain off the cruddy waste water of the RO unit.
The drain can be hooked into the drain piping under a sink, or any pipe that goes to sewer.
This is more of an installation issue - as to a performance issue.
The wastewater can be drained off many ways.
Running the waste tube to a floor drain or sink drain is a temporary method that works just as well.
Some folks even collect the waste water and use it for watering plants/gardens. I wouldn't suggest drinking it though :p

bad_fish

Broomer, thanks. You answered my question. Installing the filter inline with an appliance doesn't reduce the wasted water, It just provides an outlet for it.
Is 4:1 typical? I am concerned because water is rather expensive here in the Dallas area. Moved here two years ago from Delaware where we paid about $60/3 mos., now it's about $100/month.
Thanks for the input.:)
bad