Question on RO Unit

krazy302

I am thinking about buying a RO unit, the one I am looking at is from lowes . It is a Whirlpool model #WHER25. Has anyone used this unit. I want to use it for drinking water and of course for my tank (quiet don't tell the wife, she thinks I want it for me and her)LOL. Do you think this unit is ok.

am3gross

is it just the ro unit? you would be better off getting the ro/di unit. also how many stages is it? most ro/di units are at least 4 to 5 stages. imo the more stages the better the quality of the water. i am also looking in to getting the unit but i think i am going to go with the kent maxxima. i think that they are the best ive seen so far. i am no expert so i would wait until somebody with more exp. chimes in ........ good luck!

krazy302

Do I actually need a RO unit with DI or will the RO unit work ok for now...And could I add the DI unit to it at a later date????

ophiura

First things first. Shop around. There are lots of places that specialize in these units and they are FAR FAR FAR cheaper than what I have seen at hardware stores. I've seen 5 stage RO/DI for about $125. This also goes, IMO, for buying "name brand" aquarium RO/DI units as well. Basically the housings are all the same, the resins and such all the same....but the name is making up the cost difference. JMO tho

anonome

Originally Posted by ophiura
First things first. Shop around. There are lots of places that specialize in these units and they are FAR FAR FAR cheaper than what I have seen at hardware stores. I've seen 5 stage RO/DI for about $125. This also goes, IMO, for buying "name brand" aquarium RO/DI units as well. Basically the housings are all the same, the resins and such all the same....but the name is making up the cost difference. JMO tho

Ophiura is right, shop around. I went on the "big auction" house site and got mine for $90.00. It is a 5 stage RO/DI unit that does 100gpd. It has been wonderful. I have even had the water tested professionally--passed with flying colors. Just type in RO/DI water filters and they will all pop up. Good luck!

susieq

Originally Posted by Anonome
Ophiura is right, shop around. I went on the "big auction" house site and got mine for $90.00. It is a 5 stage RO/DI unit that does 100gpd. It has been wonderful. I have even had the water tested professionally--passed with flying colors. Just type in RO/DI water filters and they will all pop up. Good luck!

I have this unit too, it works great!! I also ordered the TDS meter. I was going to change the filters about 30 gallons ago but the TDS meter says I can wait a bit. It saved me money.

krazy302

Anonome Could you email me the web site you bought your RO/DI Unit at...

anonome

Originally Posted by Krazy302
Anonome Could you email me the web site you bought your RO/DI Unit at...
I went to your profile, your email address is blocked. Here's a hint--E B..

krazy302

I went to your profile, your email address is blocked. Here's a hint--E B..
Thank you

anonome

Originally Posted by susieq
I have this unit too, it works great!! I also ordered the TDS meter. I was going to change the filters about 30 gallons ago but the TDS meter says I can wait a bit. It saved me money.
Susieq--yes I did the same thing--Krazy302, get the TDS meter also, I believe it was around $25.00? It test the water, to tell you when the filters need to be changed, no quessing. I fill a 50 gallon drum (with lid, small hole cut in top for venting) to store my water. I have a heater, and cheap powerhead in it to always have it at 78* and fully aerated for use. If storing the water it needs to be aerated.