Question on Serpent stars and seahorses.

flower

I was told serpent stars and SHs can't be in the same tank. I did not introduce a serpent star, but yesterday I noticed tentacles reaching up from a rock. The arms were larger than the tiny hair like arms of the tiny stars that live in the rock, but they were not as large as a store purchased critters either. I could see the arms and the design on the arms (little stripes) it stayed in the rocks and I did not see it's disk...Do I have a problem or can I leave it alone? It did grab at a pepermint shrimp and it pulled away fast, they wanted the same piece of floating mysis shrimp.
What are the dangers of serpent stars with SHs?
I guess I should also mention: This is a 56g Kuda seahorse tank.
Thanks for any help you folks can offer.

flower

BUMP....I need an answer...do I remove the little critter or leave it be? It is hanging out in the same rock.

gemmy

You should be OK for now, but I would consider removing it. The reason they are bad in a seahorse tank is because there are a couple of types that will prey on the seahorses. If yours is munching on peppermint shrimp, what is to say it won't eat a seahorse?

novahobbies

What color is it, and is it a true serpent or a brittle star?
As you know, micro-stars are perfectly safe. I've seen any number of them in my tank and had no issues. I also have a smallish brittle star that hitched in on a sponge that is about 3 inches from arm to arm who also behaves himself, but I keep an eye on him.
In general, most serpent stars are fairly safe. Brittle stars are opportunists and have been known to try attacking fish, but most healthy animals have nothing to fear from brittle stars. I would remove it if it was a brittle star that was bigger than a few inches from tip to tip. I would also remove it ASAP if it's GREEN..... :)

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by novahobbies http:///t/392956/question-on-serpent-stars-and-seahorses#post_3492916
What color is it, and is it a true serpent or a brittle star?
As you know, micro-stars are perfectly safe. I've seen any number of them in my tank and had no issues. I also have a smallish brittle star that hitched in on a sponge that is about 3 inches from arm to arm who also behaves himself, but I keep an eye on him.
In general, most serpent stars are fairly safe. Brittle stars are opportunists and have been known to try attacking fish, but most healthy animals have nothing to fear from brittle stars. I would remove it if it was a brittle star that was bigger than a few inches from tip to tip. I would also remove it ASAP if it's GREEN
..... :)
Wow...somebody finally answered this thread. It was definitely not a brittle or a micro stars arm that I saw. I didn't see it's disk so I really don't know for sure the size. It's arm was grey with stripes and smooth, no little comb looking legs....so that's a serpent star correct?
The Kuda are good sized horses and if he won't bother them than I'm happy to leave him be. It would be a pain to dismantle the tank to get to it and they move. The Peppermint shrimp are huge and very brave, they come out and eat right along with the horses.
I saw two legs reaching up about an 1 1/2 inch in length. So stretched out that would make him around 3 inches

novahobbies

What you just described is a pretty common small serpent star. They don't get too big, and I don't think you need to worry about it. Just be cognizant of it, check out the rock it's in from time to time, and make sure it's not turning into a monster. As they say, in general serpent stars are a little less likely to be a problem than brittle stars.
Sorry, I haven't been on the horse forums very much....I know, I'm a Very Bad Person.
I'm sure I'll be more observant when the 110g build + stocking starts slowing down....

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by novahobbies http:///t/392956/question-on-serpent-stars-and-seahorses#post_3493017
What you just described is a pretty common small serpent star. They don't get too big, and I don't think you need to worry about it. Just be cognizant of it, check out the rock it's in from time to time, and make sure it's not turning into a monster. As they say, in general serpent stars are a little less likely to be a problem than brittle stars.
Sorry, I haven't been on the horse forums very much....I know, I'm a Very Bad Person.
I'm sure I'll be more observant when the 110g build + stocking starts slowing down....
LOL...I never go to certain sections, I check new posts. I'm on this site so much that new posts are all that change. I know you have been a very busy bee...but where is Meowzer lately...she always has some input and the other regulars too, I see we have lots of new folks too.
Anyway I love serpent stars, and I wanted to add a couple but was warned to not do it. Now that a hitchhiker has been discovered, I was concerned. I will keep an eye on him like you said. I was also told to not have cleaner shrimp, so I got peppermints...I thought they stayed little, these guys are as large as the cleaners.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemmy http:///t/392956/question-on-serpent-stars-and-seahorses#post_3493153
Your horses don't eat the peppermints. :(
Novas does....Not mine, and I'm soooo glad too, because I have aptasia, the peps keep my tank of those buggers squeaky clean. Cleaners are not acceptable, I'm really not sure why but peppermint shrimp are allowed. I just assumed it was because peppermint shrimp were little...these guys are big as cleaners, they were tiny when I put them in the tank. Maybe cleaners like to pick at fish and get on them.... and peppermints don't, that would make more sense. I have peppermints in the potbelly horse tank too and they all get along fine.

novahobbies

Both my H. erectus and my H. reidis went after peppermints. The H. erectus only attack the little ones. The H. reidis would eat any and all shrimp-shaped objects, regardless of size.

flower

Quote:Originally Posted by novahobbies http:///t/392956/question-on-serpent-stars-and-seahorses#post_3495450
Both my H. erectus and my H. reidis went after peppermints. The H. erectus only attack the little ones. The H. reidis would eat any and all shrimp-shaped objects, regardless of size.

I have never lost a shrimp to a seahorse. I seed my tanks with amphipods, do you think they might be satisfied with those so they never bothered the shrimp? My peps are huge, I had no idea they got so big, I thought peps stayed little.

gemmy

Oh, my lovely seahorses have decided that they are too good for amphipods and won't eat them. They love mysis and peppermints.

flower

Quote:Originally Posted by Gemmy http:///t/392956/question-on-serpent-stars-and-seahorses#post_3495497
Oh, my lovely seahorses have decided that they are too good for amphipods and won't eat them. They love mysis and peppermints.

LOL.............................My potbellies have hardly come out of the rocks since I seeded the tank with them. The Kuda loves pods better than life itself, but they don't bother my peppermint shrimps and they always eat their mysis..................If you ever get overrun with amphipods, I will gladly pay shipping for them.