question? water bubbles.

jhebi

i have these water bubbles under my rocks, is that normal or should i do something about it...

wax32

I assume you mean air bubbles? Well, it happens if your filter is introducing air bubbles into your tank. Ideally you don't want it to do that. The trapped air bubbles under your rock could cause die off of that part of the rock if it stays there.

wonderwit

In addition to killing organisms exposed to the air, there could also be other more serious issues. If these airpockets are being form a good distance away from the water outfall, it could be an indication that your water is supersaturated with oxygen. Its good to have high dissolved oxygen levels, but if your water is supersaturated, then embolisms can occur in the fish causing death (same sort of thing that happens to a scuba diver when surfacing too quickly...fish can get the bends too). If your trying to raise larvae, even saturated water can cause issues. Typically, until larvae and fry metamorphose into juveniles, the majority of their oxygen is absorbed through the skin (gills don't really kick in until metamorphosis). As such, their skin isn't as well adapted to breathing and osmoregulation, and levels of 99% oxygen saturation could give them serious issues. Older fish don't really have issues unless the water is supersaturated with oxygen.

S

skysmom

wiggle your rocks a little bit? that's what I did, and I also used a net to kinda scrape them off too

jhebi

i did wriggle and took the bubbles out but they came back.....what can i do to fix this problem....because i heard is bad for my fishes...
any help??? :help: :help:

bigb

If they keep coming back you need to adjust your skimmer/ filter/sump to stop the introduction of micro-bubbles into your main tank.