Question

kym

Hi everyone. I'm pretty new to the boards and would like your advice. I have a 55 gallon tank with a 1-1/2" to 2" huma huma. I've read that this is the minimum tank size for a huma huma. I would like to get a valentini puffer too. I plan on getting a bigger tank (150 gallons) in approximately 3 months. Do you think they would be okay together for that time period? I wanted to get another fish now as to avoid the huma huma getting too used to being by himself and too territorial. I've only had him for about 3 weeks now. What do you think?

ams153

Originally Posted by kym
Hi everyone. I'm pretty new to the boards and would like your advice. I have a 55 gallon tank with a 1-1/2" to 2" huma huma. I've read that this is the minimum tank size for a huma huma. I would like to get a valentini puffer too. I plan on getting a bigger tank (150 gallons) in approximately 3 months. Do you think they would be okay together for that time period? I wanted to get another fish now as to avoid the huma huma getting too used to being by himself and too territorial. I've only had him for about 3 weeks now. What do you think?

woah ive never heard a 55 is ok ive always heard 100 minimum!

kym

Yep, I read online (I'll have to find the site) that minimum was 55 gallon. I assume that's for just the huma huma itself and no other fish. But I plan on getting a larger tank in a few months anyway. That's why I was wondering what may do well with so I can get him used to another fish.

aw2x3

Even for the Humu itself, which will grow to over 10", it's not ok to put it in a 55gal.
Kym...keep in mind that most sites that give you "minimum tank requirements" are online stores and are only out to sell the fish. If they were to say "minimum tank size of 240gal", how many do you think would buy it?...not too many people have 240gal. tanks.
Dont always believe what you read. Do more research, at other NON-retail fish sites, and you'll learn a lot more.
A good rule of thumb, in this hobby, is to not buy fish unless you have room for their adult size. You say you'll be buying another tank in a few months, but what if some mishap happens and you have to use that money for something else, etc.? That poor fish is gonna be stuch in a cramped tank and will eventually stress, get disease and die. Wait till you have the tank, then buy the fish...not the other way around.

kym

Okay, no more fish for me and I better get that new tank soon. BTW. it was poseidonsrealm.com that I saw that 55 gallon minimum on for a humu humu when I was looking up info on them.

reeftank27

yeah the size huma you have is ok in a 55 just not a big one. They do grow kinda fast too. Just be ready to upgrade when he gets bigger.

kym

That is the plan, to upgrade in a few months. That's why I wanted to get him a buddy now so when he goes into the bigger tank (he'll be older and bigger) - I wanted to try to avoid a bad aggression problem. :notsure: