Question...

gastineaub

I wouldn't say were new to saltwater tanks, but more or less we suck. We have no problems with keeping fish, but coral is another story.
We currently have a 29 g biocube that we want to turn into a reef tank. It has a protein skimmer attached as well. we have a fire shrimp, small flame hawk (he will be moving to our 90) barber pole shrimp goby, green mandarin (we've had for 8-9 months), purple firefish, and red emerald crab with one claw lol. Our green muchrooms look like crap though and water is cloudyish. Oh yeah we also have some hermits and snail that are doing well. So our question is what are we doing wrong? The rocks look dirty, our calcium levels are good, phosphate levels are fine as well as ammonia, nitrates, nitrites, and ph. We do have hard water and currently don not have a ro filter (should we?) We can't seem to get coraline alge to grow either? We've had both tanks for about a year. Oh yeah about 25 lbs of live rock as well
As far as the 90 the water is clear and tests well. Not sure of the exact light but it was a "upgrade" with our kit we bought last year. We have a wet dry sump as well as a protein skimmer and uv. The fish are a yellow tang, blue hippo, red coris wrasse juvy, small dog face and a recently bought flounder to stir the sand. No inverts for obvious reasons. 80 lbs of live rock also. We would like to grow coraline alge also but so far just one spec that came on a rock we bought 2 weeks ago. there is some brownish detris? growing on the rocks so I'm leaving the lights off for a few days.
Oh, we clean both tanks at 10% water change once a week. Even if our calcium levels are high should we keep adding c-balance for the coraline alge? Sorry for all the babbleing and horrible spelling, I am just typing all I can think of.
Please help us get better at this hobby! We love it and wish to learn more.
Thanks

pattycakes

Originally Posted by gastineaub
http:///forum/post/3239131
I wouldn't say were new to saltwater tanks, but more or less we suck. We have no problems with keeping fish, but coral is another story.
We currently have a 29 g biocube that we want to turn into a reef tank. It has a protein skimmer attached as well. we have a fire shrimp, small flame hawk (he will be moving to our 90) barber pole shrimp goby, green mandarin (we've had for 8-9 months), purple firefish, and red emerald crab with one claw lol. Our green muchrooms look like crap though and water is cloudyish. Oh yeah we also have some hermits and snail that are doing well. So our question is what are we doing wrong? The rocks look dirty, our calcium levels are good, phosphate levels are fine as well as ammonia, nitrates, nitrites, and ph. We do have hard water and currently don not have a ro filter (should we?) We can't seem to get coraline alge to grow either? We've had both tanks for about a year. Oh yeah about 25 lbs of live rock as well
As far as the 90 the water is clear and tests well. Not sure of the exact light but it was a "upgrade" with our kit we bought last year. We have a wet dry sump as well as a protein skimmer and uv. The fish are a yellow tang, blue hippo, red coris wrasse juvy, small dog face and a recently bought flounder to stir the sand. No inverts for obvious reasons. 80 lbs of live rock also. We would like to grow coraline alge also but so far just one spec that came on a rock we bought 2 weeks ago. there is some brownish detris? growing on the rocks so I'm leaving the lights off for a few days.
Oh, we clean both tanks at 10% water change once a week. Even if our calcium levels are high should we keep adding c-balance for the coraline alge? Sorry for all the babbleing and horrible spelling, I am just typing all I can think of.
Please help us get better at this hobby! We love it and wish to learn more.
Thanks
i'm not a hundred percent sure what your question is but either way it's not going to be easy to help without you giving the people on the forums your parameters...and as for the ro thing i would say yes because it helps with top offs and if you make your own saltwater. next question is how long have you had these tanks? and also what exactly are your questions in general?

raymond2688

ro/di is a must unless you buy your water. you will continue to have algea problems if not. not sure why your water is cloudy without knowing what your paramiters are. if you buy your water as i did it adds up quick. for under 200 bucks you can have an ro system and it will pay for itself. i just got one last week and have noticed a huge difference already in my tank. i used to buy water for water changes and top off with my well water. i have lots of coraline but also lots of green. after the system the green is going away. as far as the coraline, and please let me know if im wrong you need coraline to seed your tank. by this i mean buy some live rock with lots of it on there and it will grow. i used to have none once i started getting some nice rock here and there and now my tank is full of it. good luck i will be checking back in to see your paramiters