question

ga8233

Ok, I have in the past gotten most of my answer from LFS. The guys there are pretty good to me and I don't think they are "out to get me (money wise)" When I first bought my set up @ 4 yrs. ago, the owner advised me on "how to" everything. But he only sold me one return and I have noticed that some people have many. I have a 125g. tank. and the return is located on the far right corner. Do I need to add more? Please answer this one someone.:confused:

bigmac

I guess your talking about sump returns, correct? Having sump returns at different spots really isn't that important if you have a good turn over rate. My advice would be to setup some powerheads or even better a closed loop

ga8233

yes I am talking about sump returns. I meant I have only have one power head on the right corner of my tank. DO I need more? and what's a closed loop?

dad

Yes; You need more powerheads. You need to move water current throughout your tank.
On a 125g i would think you need at least four. One in each corner.
I am not much on this and trying to learn. ok?
There is a basic formula for how much flow you need per gallon but it differs from tank to tank.
I would get more thogh. Try to have water flow(circulating) everywhere in your tank.
I wish I could help out more.

kreach

The general rule for turnover is 10x the gallon size of your tank. So a 125 gallon would need at least 1250 gph (gallons per hour) of water circulation. If it's a reef tank, you should probably go for 15-20x (1875-2500 gph) circulation.
So you're ok with just one sump return as long as you have adequate powerheads to make up for the needed circulation. Hope this helps!

ga8233

Ok Thankks Everyone, I don't know why I wasn't told this when I bought the set up. Do you think that the lack of circulation has contributed to the hair algae problem?

kreach

Originally posted by ga8233
Ok Thankks Everyone, I don't know why I wasn't told this when I bought the set up. Do you think that the lack of circulation has contributed to the hair algae problem?

Hair algae is typically caused by an excess of nutrients in the water (nitrates & phosphates) as well as lighting.