questions about 24 gallon nano

ilikesalt

my 24 gaalon nano has been cycling now for 3 weeks. i have 12 pounds of live rock and 30 pounds of live sand. my ammonia level spiked to .5 when i put the live rock in and then returned to 0 2 days later. my nitrites and nitrates have never read above 0. my ph is 8.4 and my salinity is 1.023. after 1 week with the live rock i started to get some green algae in my tank so i went to the lfs and bought 20 turbo snails, 8 emerald crabs, and 6 hermit crabs. one week after the addition of the cleaning crew and all my testing has resulted in no ammonia, no nitrites, no nitrates, ph of 8.4, and salinity of 1.023. first question am i just lucky or has my time just not come yet? second question i was advised by a friend to remove the carbon filter bag, the bioballs, and the foam filters and replace them with just live rock. is that a good idea? third question i live in the florida keys and my tank temperature ranges between 78 in the morning and 81 at night. my lights turn on at 9 am and turn off at 9pm. i leave my ac in my apartment running all day. i do not have the money for a chiller. is this temperature to drastic for most corals and fish? last question after all the information i have just provided am i ready to add some fish or should i let it cycle longer?

tarball

Originally Posted by IlikeSalt
my 24 gaalon nano has been cycling now for 3 weeks. i have 12 pounds of live rock and 30 pounds of live sand. my ammonia level spiked to .5 when i put the live rock in and then returned to 0 2 days later. my nitrites and nitrates have never read above 0. my ph is 8.4 and my salinity is 1.023. after 1 week with the live rock i started to get some green algae in my tank so i went to the lfs and bought 20 turbo snails, 8 emerald crabs, and 6 hermit crabs. one week after the addition of the cleaning crew and all my testing has resulted in no ammonia, no nitrites, no nitrates, ph of 8.4, and salinity of 1.023. first question am i just lucky or has my time just not come yet? second question i was advised by a friend to remove the carbon filter bag, the bio balls, and the foam filters and replace them with just live rock. is that a good idea? third question i live in the florida keys and my tank temperature ranges between 78 in the morning and 81 at night. my lights turn on at 9 am and turn off at 9pm. i leave my ac in my apartment running all day. i do not have the money for a chiller. is this temperature to drastic for most corals and fish? last question after all the information i have just provided am i ready to add some fish or should i let it cycle longer?

Probably need to raise the salinity to 1.025 for the inverts comfort. Also the temperature swing is ok.
Looks like you can add a fish if you wish, make sure its a hardy one. Its to early for starfish, shrimp or sensitive fish.
As far as filters & bio-balls vs LR, its up to you. Just remember to keep the bio-balls clean & change out filters when needed

ilikesalt

thank you for your response. do you think that the salinity should stay at 1.025 or just for the time being? if i did decide to go with all live rock filter system does the live rock in the back filter chambers need any maintenence or just let it be? also a few people have told me that 8 emerald crabs is to many. what are your thoughts?

matt b

Originally Posted by IlikeSalt
thank you for your response. do you think that the salinity should stay at 1.025 or just for the time being? if i did decide to go with all live rock filter system does the live rock in the back filter chambers need any maintenence or just let it be? also a few people have told me that 8 emerald crabs is to many. what are your thoughts?
8 emerald crabs is WAY to many i would only do 1 and see how it gose.

ilikesalt

that seems to be the consensus. do you or anyone have any advise on snails? i have 15 small to med size turbos and 5 large ones. i have heard from other people that more of a variety would better. if anyone has any thoughts please let me know.