Questions about base rock

alanwest

Ok i have my tank setup for about 5 weeks. I used 4 fish and 25 lbs of live rock to cycle it. It was a 55 gallon tank. I have a protien skimmer and filter already. I am getting 50 lbs of base rock (clean dead rock) and my lighting on friday. The question I have is will the base rock which has no living or dead creatures on it will that cause a 2nd cycle and my next question is can i pick up my cleaning crew on saturday the day after I add my base rock.

renogaw

base rock won't cause a spike, just rince it off to get rid of dust particles. its sad that you put those fish through the cycling process, but at least you're saving your clean up crew until after the cycle is done. you should be able to put them in if your readings are fine.

alanwest

Ya i know i have been yelled at by everyone by cycling with fish i feal bad about it. You live u learn i wont be doin it again.

T

tmy880

Originally Posted by alanwest
Ya i know i have been yelled at by everyone by cycling with fish i feal bad about it. You live u learn i wont be doin it again.
I also added BR to my tank. I was told to take a wire brush and scrape off any old dead stuff off of the rock. I used a new BBQ brush. Believe it or not the rock that looked "clean" had a lot of dead dry stuff come off of it.
Good luck.

weberian

JMO, but I would only use PLASTIC-bristle brushes. You don't want any yellow metal - colored bristles on the brush that might let particles of metal fall into crevices of the rocks.
Brass = copper = very bad.