Questions about New Set?????

mjhulik

I'm looking to set up a 75 gallon and was wondering if I need to use a sump, wet dry/prefilter, or refruim, or what really I need, Currently I don't have these in my 20 gallon because I let the LR to all the work. What are some thoughts? What it need for a fish only setup?
Thanks to all that reply

ophiura

What sort of FO are you considering? Like a predator system or just reef fish? With LR or not?

mjhulik

I don't really even want LR I just want Live Sand and fish like Tangs, Cooperband Butterfly, mybe an angelfish stuff like that, I just want the bare minimum to get by dollar wise.

guineawhop

i have a 75, which is my smallest tank and on it i have an emperor 400 and an emperor 280. i also have a red sea prism skimmer on it. i have had NO problems with this tank whatsoever. i currently have a small blueface angel, dwarf lion, 2 damsels, and a maroon clown. i also have tons of hermits and also blood shrimp and cleaner shrimp in there. i have about 40 pounds of live rock and live sand lines the bottom. i would have more live rock but i can't afford it right now. the tank is almost 2 years old and my water is constantly perfect. never had problems with the parameters. keep your 20 as a qt tank so that when you get new fish you stick them in there first for 2 weeks before putting them in your main tank. this i think is my secret to my success but who knows. i baby my fish giving them all sorts of food along with ocean nutrition foods are imo the best.

scubadoo

Originally Posted by mjhulik
I don't really even want LR I just want Live Sand and fish like Tangs, Cooperband Butterfly, mybe an angelfish stuff like that, I just want the bare minimum to get by dollar wise.
Angels reqire lots of live rock in order to thrive. Also, tangs like live rock too........butterflies as well.
You will fail if you try and cut corners in this hobby. IMO...live rock is one of the best things you can add to a system.
JMO

guineawhop

Originally Posted by ScubaDoo
Angels reqire lots of live rock in order to thrive. Also, tangs like live rock too........butterflies as well.
You will fail if you try and cut corners in this hobby. IMO...live rock is one of the best things you can add to a system.
JMO
it depends on the kind of fish he gets. live rock is a good thing to add but is not necessary if he gets the right fish. there are a good quantity of angels that do not need live rock. there are also tangs and butterflies that do not need it as well, but butterflies imo are not the best way to go because they are not the hardiest of fish.

scubadoo

Originally Posted by guineawhop
it depends on the kind of fish he gets. live rock is a good thing to add but is not necessary if he gets the right fish. there are a good quantity of angels that do not need live rock. there are also tangs and butterflies that do not need it as well, but butterflies imo are not the best way to go because they are not the hardiest of fish.
I have run systems both with and without live rock through the years. Without question...live rock with a sand base has been more successfull for me. IMO...I will never set-up another system without it. There is no doubt in my mind it increases the chances for success and provides a more natural stable enviornment.
JMO

puffer32

I would use the 20 gal for a refrugim. I think your best bet is to buy some live rock, some base, and some live sand and let your tank seed for awhile if you don't want to spend to much on LR. This hobby is expensive but if you can afford all those expensive fish, you can afford some LR right?

ophiura

I agree if you want those fish, which ain't cheap, you should be willing to put some money behind providing a proper environment for them. There is more to LR than biological filtration. Far more. Those aren't cheap or hardy fish and I don't think you will get by easily with the minimum, IMO without losing money by losing the fish. Go with one or two of the fancy fish, and spend the rest on LR etc. Shop around, get some deals or make your own rock and get seed LR for the rest, be patient, but don't go for the bare minimum. It is not doing yourself or the fish any favors.
If the majority of people could keep such fish doing the bare minimum and it usually worked, why would we all be wasting money on LR and such?