questions about Nintendo Wii

pontius

I'm thinking of buying one of the newer video game consoles or either the handheld PSP. I'm leaning towards the Wii because I like the concept and I want to play that Punchout game. my nephew has one and I like the bowling and boxing games on there. so....
1. is it worth it? are the graphics up to par with other consoles?
2. somebody told me that if you hook up a wireless router, you can download old Nintendo games. is this true? if so, how much are the game downloads and how much is a wireless router?
3. do ALL of the games require physical movement, or just some of them? particularly, Madden and NCAA Football. do they make those games where you can just use a controller or do you have to pretend like you're throwing a football?
I think that's all. feel free to add any other advice or comments.

aquaknight

1.) It used to be. When PS3 was $500(40gb) or $600(80gb) and 360 was $400 and Wii was only $250, it was a good buy. But now that the rivals have dropped their prices (360 is $300 for the 'pro' system, $400 for the 80gb PS3) I would lean towards one of those if I was to have only one system. Wii is still $250. Graphics wise, the Wii is pretty far behind the other two. It's better then a PS2, but not the same level as the big two. Heavenly Sword or Gran Tursimo 5 on PS3 on an HDTV will blow your mind with graphics. The best Wii graphics game, either Metriod Prime 3 or Super Mario Galaxy, look like a good original Xbox game.
2.) Wii is quasi-able to connect to the internet. Wii comes with built-in wireless, so if you have a wireless router at your house, you can connect that way, which is a lot easier then running a cat5 to your modem/router. After Wii is connected, you can go onto Shopping Channel and purchase a number of different things, including old games. You can also purchase Opera, which will allow to browse the web on your Wii (we got the beta for free
).
3.) Sort of. For those two in specific, Madden/NCAA, sort of (common theme) you don't have to do a full out pass, just flick the remote in the direction of the receiver. Some controls are button, some movement. All those EA Sports games are "All-Play" so there's different levels of computer control you can pick from. I dumped it quick and started playing on the 360 instead. Other then the party games, Tiger woods is the best game for the motion control. Seems to be a reason for the demographic Wii is targeted to (12yo and under) and 90% of the games are terrible kids games.
My bottomline, Wii is definitely a cool machine. However as the solo system I'd say most would will become bored with it. The party games aren't fun to play by yourself, for any of the sports games/shooters/etc, being to play on Xbox live and Playstation Network far outweigh the slight coolness of motion on the Wii.

sickboy

Yup, he said it well. I hardly play my Wii, and then it is usually just MarioKart when people come over. But I play my Xbox close to every night for a couple hours. I hope it burns out soon so I can get a PS3 with the warranty money...

pontius

ok, but since I won't be able to play Punchout without the Wii, is the price of a PS3 worth it? other than Madden/NCAA, the only other non-Nintendo games that I really liked were the Medal of Honor games and even they got tiresome after a while.
I have an original Xbox that I now only use to watch DVDs on. I liked Splinter Cell for awhile and then got tired of it. same with Max Payne and Hitman. I did not like the Halo games at all. so I'd pretty much just be getting it for football games and maybe MoH. is it worth it? the PS3 and 360 both play DVDs, correct?

aquaknight

Originally Posted by TangMan99
http:///forum/post/3089828
Holy Cow! I have been thinking of getting one just for the Blue Ray player, but that is incredible! And yes, The Wii is cool but it is not HD.
One more, and I promise that's it

aquaknight

Yes, both 360 and PS3 play DVDs, but PS3 also has a Blu-Ray player built in. As for worth it, yea, now that the price is lowered, you get a lot of hardware for your money. Being a Blu-ray player is about a $200 value right there, and PS3 has the most power out of the consoles, 1080p capable, not just 720p. And has built-in wireless.
For games for PS3, by 'halo games' you mean like first person shooters in general, or just Halo specifically?
Here's some different games you might like as I browse through bestbuy.com, Grand Theft Auto IV, Mortal Kombat vs. DC Comics, Resistance 2, Killzone 2, UFC 2009 Undisputed (play that a lot myself), StreetFighter IV, MLB the Show, FIFA 2009 (play a lot), and any car games? Burnout, Need for Speed, Gran Turismo, etc...
Those are replay shots of Gran Turismo a tad up-rendered, but very close to in-game.

jonp

It depends on what you're planning to use the system for. The WII is a fun system if you're not interested in playing all the time and have friends / family over quite abit. The PS3 / Xbox have pretty much the same games for the consoles with PS3 being the better buy (IMO)because you don't have to pay for online play, it comes wireless (xbox you have to buy a wireless adapter), blu-ray player built in, and has better graphics.