Questions about Yellow Tang

malibu599

My tang is sometimes very pale and colorless. He eats well but I was wondering what I could feed him?? No pet stores here have Seaweed selects they said sometimes they get in Nori. Help he is pale alot and sometimes shows little color.

jumpfrog

Three options come to mind. Order the seaweed selects from an online retailer. Some even over free shipping right now. If you have a health food store close by go there and look for seaweed/nori. I bought some last month, $5.00 for probably a 3 month supply. And lastly go to an oriental market if avaiable. They sell nori for rolling suhsi. All of it's the same stuff.
I'm sure your tank will love it, mine tears into.
Good Luck!

tyrfing

At what time of day is he pale or colorless? I had the same concern until someone told me not to worry about it. At night, when the lights are out, their color fades a lot. Mine is cream colored when I come in in the morning, 15 minutes after I turn the lights on, he's a deep yellow again.

cycle1

If I may add, my Yellow Tang changes color sometimes, too. He sometimes goes a pale-creamish color. In the morning, he has a little cream-colored line running horizontally over his body. I think this is normal. Sometimes, he will show signs of fading in color around the nose area, but this will soon go away. I feed him a little flake food in the morning and a dose of frozen brine shrimp in the evening. He's doing very well!

saltfin

Instead of Seaweed I use Romaine Lettuce. 1 leaf with a bubber band tied to a say 2"X4" rock, it also looks like a decoration. It lasts about 2 days (my Rock Beauty) loves this stuff - Maybe your tang too! A leaf is about 10" tall and 5" wide. Always rinse off gently first.

S

sinner's girl

I've been told (and read on here) that Romaine Lettuce wasn't as good as seaweed for the Tangs. Seaweed is closer to what they eat in the wild. But then lfs's have lettuce or cellary (sp) in their tanks...so maybe I was told wrong?

wildblue4

get some seaweed selects as soon as you can. you wil not believe the difference in the color of your tang after a few days of feeding it to them.