questions for new tank owner

dareefpimp

howdy...I just got my first tank(12 g nano) on Saturday May 20th and I have about 10 pounds of live fiji rock and live sand and how long should I wait to introduce a few fish....and how long for an anenome and some coral????? and any suggestion for what kind of cleaning crew I need ( shrimps, snails crabs etc) ...would appreciate some tips guys.

dareefpimp

how do I do that????.....my local fish store told me to bring a water sample in about four days and if approved I can get some fish.....will they be checking ammonia levels?

reefdude37

You need to let your tank cycle first, this is required with every saltwater tank, You cant add anything except liverock and substrates until you cycle. It can take up to a month. You need to upgrade your lights before you get corals. I dont think you should get a anemone anyways becuase they require special lights(MH) and a established aquarium.

laddy

Most LFS will offer this service for the simple reason that will bring you back in. What you must do is surf this site a little and draw on the wealth of knowledge that is this community, and want to fully understand what is happening in your tank. You'll want to get three test kits as soon as you can: Ammonia, Nitrites, and Nitrates. What you want to see, reffered to as the "cycle", is a spike of ammonia as your tank starts breaking down organics....then as you continue to test for ammonia, you'll see an increase in nitrites (less of a toxin to marine life than ammonia), and finally you'll see an increase in nitrates (a more manageable toxin, for the lack of a better word). Once you cannot detect ammonia and nitrites with your test kits, and only see a small amount of nitrates (< 25 mg/l) then you're tank has cycled. What you have created is a small ecological cycle which can make up for any lack of experience, or small mistakes on your part. Too many people, especially with nanos, make the mistake of jumping in with both feet in the deep end of the pool. Surf around on this site, check the FAQ. Good luck, and if you have any more questions just ask....there are plenty of nice people around here to answer your questions. We are all, hopefully, dedicated to this great hobby!!

dareefpimp

I appreciate the help Laddy. I've started a hobby that I've been dreaming of since childhood and just recently decided to dive into.....Also I didn't use RO water but just tap water with a capfule of that water conditioner stuff that takes out the chlorine and protect the scales of fish.....I hear this is not recommended....should I drain it and get RO or will the water eventually be Kosher?????

nygel

i used tap and mine is fine... it cycled in like a week... only death has been through my hermit killing my snail and taking its shell.

laddy

It's alright to start off the cycle with tap water, barring any kind of weird water you have coming from your local PUC. You'll want to start topping off, that is adding to the water which evaporates, with RO water with NO additives. If KENT or any of the other brands actually could prove that their stuff works to the specs they label it, I'd start buying it.
What has worked for me--IMHO--You'll want to fully cycle your tank, do a 25% water change with RO water, and start to add 1-2 fish. Observe them for a few weeks and act accordingly.
I know what you mean by wanting to be apart of this hobby for a long time. If you take it slow, you'll wind up with some of the great looking tanks on this forum before you know it--regardless if it's a 20g or a 200g.
Good luck.
Stay educated, stay humble, and stay active.