Questions on Ammonia

shyfish

Hi,
I have kept fish for 36 years. The last three years are saltwater tanks.
I have never had an ammonia problem in all those years. So this is new to me. I had an expired test kit (expired when I bought it) , so things went unnoticed for at least three months. That little warning disk got lost in the tank for the third time, I had my test kit so I wasn't worried. Then I realized all my tests were wrong.
I had changed the filter media, and then had introduced new fish. I had a hair algea problem and wanted the new fish to eat what I was unable to pick out.
I did a 50% water change Yom Rishon (sunday). Everything looked good yesterday but today the ammonia reads 0.25.
Should I be worried?
I have a big canister filter, for a 100g, my tank is 90g. so it should be big enough. Here are my numbers
PO4 is reading 1.0
Cal. is reading 400
Nitrite reads 0
Nitrate reads number 20 on my test- explanation says safe
Alk. reads 180
PH reads 8.0
Ammonia reads 0.25
salinity is at 1.023
Temp is 80
Here are my fish.
Sleeper goby
Royal Gramma
3 flame cardinals (new)
I small Hippo tang
1 small blue spotted kole tang (new)
2 Sally lightfoot crabs (new)
2 seprent stars
lawnmower blenny
Tube anamone
2 coco worms
2 reg. featherdusters
4 dispar anthias (new)
Now that I listed everything...am I over stocked? Everything is small and will stay small except the tangs.
Any help please! I am really stressing over this.

bigarn

While ammonia should be 0 some test kits will give a constant 0.25 ammonia reading. If you have a reputable LFS I'd let them test the water to rule out the test kit you're using.

shyfish

Hi,
I thought ammonia in any amount kills. My LFS uses those strip tests. The same one I have for a quick ref. If something looks suspect I go to the chemistry set. That little stick says all is well.

shyfish

Yes. Its just a little pad that stays clear. That floating ---- thing says safe the last I saw it too.
I don't see any experation on the test strip. It was bought at a differnet store. I am sooo stressed. Can 0.25 kill my babies???

bigarn

You can try another water change and test again .... if you get the same readings I wouldn't worry.

shyfish

Should I do a full 50%, or 20 to 30%?
They only thing that seems to be having a hard time is my galaxia, it won't come all the way out, it isn't sitting too close to anything.