Questions on small reef tank

jla9508

I currently have a 55 gal. FO/LR tank that has been runnung for about 2 1/2 years. I have read that it is harder to keep a smaller tank because the levels can change very easily. I am thinking of building a small 10g reef tank. How hard would it be to keep a small 10g reef tank?

iechy

I think you could probably have no problem with it. True it is more important if you have any level changes but with that small a tank you can also have enough saltwater always on hand to change out as much water as you need to if there is some type of swing. I think you'll just need to keep a closer eye on your params than you do on your bigger tank just to catch things early.

jla9508

Any suggestions on setting it up, as far as how deep of a sand bed, how much live rock, what kind of lighting, filtration or filterless, etc...
Thanks

iechy

I would do about 5 inches of sand and about 12lbs LR. For lighting I would just go with VHO's try and get about 5 watts per gallon. You could also do pc but I am partial to VHO. You could get by with just about any hang on skimmer, I like the bak-pak. You woudn't need any additional filtration as long as you throw in some powerheads for circulation I think you would want at least 100 gph movement. HTH

blondenaso1

I love my 20gal more then the 55 right now. Small reef tanks are awsome. I agree with the above. Find some nice pieces of LR with cool designs. For small reefs I like branching tonga because it gives the appearence of a bigger reef. Put about 20lbs of LS. Throw in a powerhead and some type of hangon filter, I use an aquaclear, and you are set. As for lighting, I liek lots of light. I would put a single 175w MH on top of it or 2 20" 75w VHOs. I am also partial to VHO vs PCs. Good luck!

keisersosei

I've been reading some posts at Nano-reef.com and there are many people there with great setups that are much more simple than the suggestions here. Granted, a skimmer, refugium, 6000 watts of light, and dsb will only help out your tank, but there is less of a need for this on a nano. Frequent water changes will do more for you than a skimmer/refugium/dsb. 72 watts of PC lighting seems to be a standard amount of light for a standard 10 gallon. This will allow you to keep basically anything you want (I have heard of people keeping clams with this light, and may try it myself). I'm about to start a 10 gallon and this will be my setup: 2 powerheads, some rock, little bit of sand, 72 watts PC light.

foulbrew

I would think twice about a 5" DSB in such a small tank. The sand bed will take up most of the tank and you will probably not be able to sustain the diversity of life needed for the long term success of the bed. Since frequent water changes will be necessary in such a tank, the de-nitrifiing aspects of the DSB will probably not provide as much benefit. Good luck.

justinx

As of right now, i am running a 20H tank (specs below) I have yet to have a single problem with anything (knocking on wood right now). True, my levels change very rapidly, especially salinity, but if you get the right top off down its a cinch. I test my water on a weekly basis and i change out 1 gallon of water a month. All of my water levels are 0, my ph is a little low though. and the only additive that i use is aragamilk. it adds calcium and a few other trace elements. I am growing a couple lps corals and coralline is taking over every inch of rock in the tank. all tank mates are happy, as am i. I was going to go with a bigger tank, but i love my 20. A smaller tank probably is more work initially until you learn what to do with it as far as water quality goes, but once you get it down, its easy.

I have a 7 gallon, and I find it pretty easy. I have no filter, so I have to change 10% of the water every week, but I dont mind if it keeps my fishies happy :) Thing is, if you do have a problem with say... nitrates (personal experiance) it will take a long time to fix it :( It took me 6 months to get my nitrates back to a safe level after they shot up one week. But as long as you take care of it well I think you will be just fine :)