Quick Newb question on tank!

midgelson

Looking to start a salt water tank and saw this add. It looks like a good deal to me, but I would love someones 2 cents if the tank and equipment is worth the money!!! Thanks a million!!
110 GALLON FISH TANK W/BLK OAK STAND !
5 MONTH OLD FISH TANK, BLACK OAK STAND,EHEIM PRO 3 FILTER, FLUVIL FX 5 FILTER 1000 GALLON AN HOUR, remora pro protein skimmer, 36 WATT ULTRA VIOLET STERILIZER, TITANIUM HEATER 400 WATT 5 MONTHS OLD,
DUAL LIGHT STRIP 700.00 TAKES IT ALL !
FREE SALT WATER FISH WORTH 250.00 PLUS 65 POUNDS COREL ROCK FREE!
BEAUTIFUL LARGE FLAME ANGEL FISH, BUTTERFLY FISH, 4 INCH ZEBRA DAMSIL, HAWK FISH, COREL BEAUTY, 2 CLOWN FISH, SNAIL AND MORE !

fishy.....

The bigger the tank the better.
The more water you have the more stable your system will be, thus more room for beginner error.
Sounds like a great deal to me better jump on it before someone else does.
Besides it will save you from upgrading later when you become fully addicted to the hobby.

reefforbrains

Just my opionion but if you really want that tank consider you will still need new lights, you will probably switch to sand since thats the more popular set up. If you do buy it, have a friend house the fish for you for at least a few weeks to get everything stable. Nothing moves quick with salt.
I do agree bigger is better for beginners to a certain point. But keep in mind larger tanks use more power for the lights and system, also more cost in chemicals and salt for the weekly water changes.

jimmy 4

I think a smaller tank would be better for a beginer because you never know if you are going to like keeping a marine tank. There is a lot less money at stake with smaller tanks.

midgelson

I was looking at a 55-100 gallon to start depending on what I could find. With the hobby appearing to be quite expensive I have been checking out craigslist for people selling their equipment.
If I purchased something like this, would/should I use the existing tank water providing it checks out ok??? I would hate to buy an existing setup and have poor water quality.....

C

cmaxwell39

If the tank is set up and running and you move a majority of the water with it as well as keep all the live rock wet you will probably not have to cycle the tank as it will already be cycled. You may have an issue with the two angels in one tank. Some have done it, but most of the time you can't keep two angels in the same tank long term.