Quick Protein Skimmer Preference ???

some1fishy

Hey People!
Just have a quick opinionated question for all you SWF enthusiasts. I am relatively new to this hobby, (although I have had an established tank previously), I have just finished my first set up and I am just about to add the finishing touches (i.e. live rock, substrate, etc.). I want to purchase a protein skimmer. I have a 55 ga tank, a power filter, uv sterilizer and necessary pumps and appurtances. It is going to be a FOWLER tank with limited corals and such. The lighting I believe is accurate (2 dble lamp T5's with blue actinic lamps) and I want to complete my set up with a skimmer. In no way do I want to slam any one manufacturer but advice from hobbiest's who have been there have more merit than what an LFS tries to sell the public. With so many options and manufacturers which to choose from is mind boggling. I am in the market for a great working but affordable skimmer.
So that being said: In YOUR OPINIONS, what are/is the best products out there to use on ths size of aquarium?
Thanks to all who reply with YOUR opinions....
Michael

acrylic51

Depends what your looking for out of a skimmer.......IMO best bang for the buck would be ASM or a MRC beckett skimmer

misfit

Well all i can tell you is from experience.The seaclone worked pretty decent on my first SW tank 55 gal then went to 125 it work good but not enough so i got a prizm what a bad move that was(stay away from that one)mabey some people had luck with it but i sure didnt.Not to long after that i up graded to a 210 and bought a aquamedic turbo floater 1000 and that works great.

chipmaker

Coralife super skimmer.......best dang skimmer in the whole wide world

Serioiusly they are a great skimmer and for the cost they work equally as well as a lot of the more expensive skimmers do. Hard to beat for the price especially for something that actually works.

jilet

depends, if you want hangon the best in my opinion is aquac remora and for sump asm or aquac urch.

S

sand125

Originally Posted by chipmaker
Coralife super skimmer.......best dang skimmer in the whole wide world

Serioiusly they are a great skimmer and for the cost they work equally as well as a lot of the more expensive skimmers do. Hard to beat for the price especially for something that actually works.

what size is your Coralife super skimmer

partsman

i also was using a seaclone 125 ( my first skimmer ) and recently upgraded to a coralife super skimmer - really nice and super effecient , almost to effecient as it reacts very quickly to any dosing or trace elements being added with a wall of micro bubbles. even with the return bubble trap they get past it and get into your tank for a short time though.
as far as getting the gunk out - really good skimmer and i feel it's more effecient than the AquaC Remora also as i've seen comparing the two side by side.
the remora takes up less wall area than the super skimmer because of the return flow box's size and the size of the submersible pump - really large pump !!!!
as far as the return flow bubble trap - i took mine off , modified some 3/4 pvc pipe and made a new return line so that it just hung at the water line - thus not causing much micro bubbles and giving me another area of surface water movement.
i like the CoraLife SuperSkimmer better than the Remora !!!