quick question about tangs and fish suggestion thread

wayner

I have been in the market for a blond naso. Here is where I am having trouble. One of my LFS's recently got one in, perfect size, but its really lacking good color. Also has alot of white spots but thats stress related being they just got him/her in yesterday. So my question is why is it lacking in color so much? Is it because they just got him in? Is it because he is still very young? Its about 3 inches. Are certain tangs more colorful then the other based on gender? Or is that some tang just are not as colorful as others?
Onto my next question. I have a 75 gal right now. 1 blue hippo tang and 1 clown fish. Hopefully I will be adding a blond naso soon. But I was at a lfs today and seen a wrasse that was very colorful and I liked it, but i figured I would come home and do the research first. This is the one I seen https://www.saltwaterfish.com/Red-Coris-Wrasse_p_803.html
but it was only 21 dollars!!!! Seems to have a moderate temperament. What do you guys think?

juniors04

If you really want a nice healthy Blonde Naso I would think about getting it from this site. You might want to upgrade to a bigger tank for a Naso. 75 gallon might be a little small. But its possible short term.

wayner

I would if it wasent for the shipping cost. I live on the other side of the country that SWF ships from

btldreef

You really need a bigger tank.
That being said, Blonde naso's usually lack color due to stress or poor diet.
I really don't know too much about the wrasse in question.

srfisher17

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayner http:///forum/thread/384921/quick-question-about-tangs-and-fish-suggestion-thread#post_3373731
I have been in the market for a blond naso. Here is where I am having trouble. One of my LFS's recently got one in, perfect size, but its really lacking good color. Also has alot of white spots but thats stress related being they just got him/her in yesterday. So my question is why is it lacking in color so much? Is it because they just got him in? Is it because he is still very young? Its about 3 inches. Are certain tangs more colorful then the other based on gender? Or is that some tang just are not as colorful as others?
Onto my next question. I have a 75 gal right now. 1 blue hippo tang and 1 clown fish. Hopefully I will be adding a blond naso soon. But I was at a lfs today and seen a wrasse that was very colorful and I liked it, but i figured I would come home and do the research first. This is the one I seen https://www.saltwaterfish.com/Red-Coris-Wrasse_p_803.html
but it was only 21 dollars!!!! Seems to have a moderate temperament. What do you guys think?
You're really considering buying a fish with "a lot of white spots"? Who told you this was "stress related"? The owner, I'll bet. This sounds like ich; possibly stress related, but stress doesn't cause ich. This is a serious parasite ans the store just blows it off? Many fish show poor color at the store and brighten up when they are in a better environment. A red coris wrass can grow to over a foot. IMO, your tank is already too small for the hippo you already have and way too small for a Naso or a RC wrasse.You have a fairly small tank, you'll do much better with smaller fish. Also, I'd never buy any fish from this store, Its hard to believe they would even have that Naso on display. No guarantee either, I'll bet. If you want to post the name of the LFS, I'd love to call them and have a chat about that Naso. I'm in that kind of mood today, too windy to fly.

wayner

na thats okay thanks you dont have to call them, no wonder why they have the fish listed for only 29 dollars. Anyways yea ill just wait untill i find something better.

pastor b

Dear hobbyist,I purchased my Blonde Naso tang from a lfs when he was 2.5 ". He was in a 10 gallon aquarium,and very pale. When I got him home, I noticed he began to get ick,so I placed Garlic Extreme onto his food,the ick disappeared. That was over 4 years ago, My Blonde Naso is now over a foot long,with blue over his eyes,a yellow dorsal fin,and streamers that are an inch long. He's one of the greediest fish that I have in the aquarium,and he's one of the most peacefull. All he does is eat and swim.He eats sea weed,marine cuisine,brine shrimp,formula 1,Mysis,and Marine A pellets soaked in Zoe

btldreef

If you never treated your fish with anything other than garlic, your fish still has ich, it's just not presenting because it is a healthy fish. My blonde naso also has ich but eats well so I never see it, but I know it's there.

wayner

Hmmm maybe this exlplains my blue hippo. From time to time my blue hippo gets a couple ich spots o him but they always go away. But there is this white spot on his top fin that looks like ich but it never goes away, its always there. How can I make this go away?

btldreef

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayner http:///forum/thread/384921/quick-question-about-tangs-and-fish-suggestion-thread#post_3374336
Hmmm maybe this exlplains my blue hippo. From time to time my blue hippo gets a couple ich spots o him but they always go away. But there is this white spot on his top fin that looks like ich but it never goes away, its always there. How can I make this go away?
How large is the white spot that never goes away? That probably is not ich.
Your hippo probably has ich, but is just healthy enough to fight it off. When he shows signs of ich, see if it's related to something (did you miss a day of feeding, late on water change, just did water change, etc). My sailfin was great for telling me if I missed a day of feeding seaweed or was late on my water change, the ich would just start to pop up again, very slightly, but that was a tell tale sign for me to check out the tank. She was like a little canary.

wayner

It rarley gets ich, but im not sure what triggers it. If the white spot is not ich what could it be?

wayner

:) thank you hes a little to big than what I wanted, but I dont think ill find smaller any time soon

btldreef

Well that might be a good thing, because as a general rule: The smaller the tang, the more problems.
Just offer lots of algae sheets. PE Mysis and shaved wild caught salmon are good options too. Soak everything in Selcon or VitaChem if you can.

btldreef

Popped over to my computer from my phone to get a better look at the pictures you posted. He looks thin. Has he eaten for you yet? Definitely try PE Mysis (it's worth the extra money) and salmon. Salmon can be a little fatty for fish, but to plump him up, it's good. Emerald Entree is another good one, as well as the algae sheets.
For what it's worth, my Blonde naso (the one in my avatar) has white spots (discoloration) across the mid section of his body from head to tail at night or when he's stressed. It's like someone took an eraser from a pencil and just smudged away his coloring. This also happens right around his nose. It's completely normal to see this, so if that's the while spots you're noticing, don't panic. I'll try to get a pic of mine so you can see exactly what I'm talking about.