Quick question on clam positioning

cgj

Hi all,
I just got a nice new 250watt, 14,000K MH fixture and its now up and operational. I really want a small crocea clam and will probably get one in a few week. I have a good spot for him, directly under the lights, about 1/4 of the way up, id say 16 inches from the light itself. The spot is on the wing of a plastic airplane Im using for decor, the wing is flat and it sits at an angle so the clam can actually rest against the engine.
Will the clam secrete acid and burn a whole into the wing, or is plastic covered in coralline generally safe for a clam? Otherwise Id put a sliver of rock on the wing and put the clam on that.

cgj

In the attached picture I boxed the spot. Its on the starboard wing, so the clam would rest against the engine and be held upright.

nycbob

clams like to be rest on a rock or substrate to feel safe. it will probably move if u put him there.

hefner413

I would say it will definitely move. It really won't have any place for it's byssus thread to wrap around. Better to find a nice flat piece of rock. Even on the rock, they'll sometimes jump off. Each of my croceas moved about 3 times each before I found a place that they liked and stayed.

deltablack22

Originally Posted by CGJ
Why, cuz theres a wrecked/sunken rattler in my tank?
Yes, I know its rude and all... And I apologize, it just looks like a kid threw his toy in your tank. I prefer a more "natural" look. I'm in a weird mood tonight... Good luck with the clam!

cgj

Ah. Thats an old pic. I added a few things like some cables and wires sticking out of it, as if a wing got blown completely off. Also, now the plane has roughly 50-60% of its surfaces covered in coralline. Looks frikkin awesome.

deltablack22

Originally Posted by CGJ
Ah. Thats an old pic. I added a few things like some cables and wires sticking out of it, as if a wing got blown completely off. Also, now the plane has roughly 50-60% of its surfaces covered in coralline. Looks frikkin awesome.

barchtruong

Originally Posted by CGJ
It will look better and better as the tank ages.
There's nothing wrong with having objects in the tank.
Everyone has their own taste.
So, you are doing great.
Post new pics with stuff going on the plane, we'd love to see it.

myzislow

I also see the wires coming out of the side of the plane. That is a no go and I would remove the entire plane, IMO. And I'm with you delta, not really feelin the plane in the tank look. But hey, i'ts his tank

hefner413

I had extra stuff in my tank when I first started - thought it looked cool until I started seeing how awesome other people's tanks looked. well, as soon as I was able - out went the plastic and in came extra LR.

cgj

The wires are simply a bundle of stripped and coated VERY thin wires from a trashed printer... they could be simply cut and removed without removing the jet.
Ok, so heres a modern pic... I powered up the old PCs just to take it for you guys... enjoy!

cgj

Those are small barnacles, and were not a good idea as they break off over the months, one by one, due to falling live rocks.
Hey, you can see part of the gatling gun in the second shot!

cgj

Also, Moderators, could you move this post to "Coralline encrusted 1980's pop-culture icons"? Thanks.
COOOOOOBRRRAAAA!!!

hefner413

What type of background do you have? Is it that foam stuff?
And looks like you have some cool orange coralline growing on the left?
And just wondering... what all do you have in there? All I've noted in the pics is a royal gramma.