Quick question

M

mikede

I have been lurking on the site for a couple of weeks, just finished the conscientious marine aquarist(took 8 pages of notes), probably 20-30 hours of reading EVERY thread on this site. I am compiling my plan of livestock as we speak and getting ready to begin. My question is this. I am considering an all-glass 72gal. bowfront. I like the bowfront looks. Is there a negative side to the bowfront? Am I starting off wrong by getting one? any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Please don't pull punches, let me know!

scsinet

Feel proud, my friend. You get to be my 1000th post! :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer:
Yes, there are disadvantages. The two biggest ones that come to mind, one of which as a DIYer I find a big problem and the other from a maintenance perspective.
First, the curved shape of the bowfront tank makes making canopies and stands difficult. This may or may not apply to you.
The second disadvantage is that the curved front makes it difficult to clean. You can't use scrapers on it, unless you reach into the tank with a short one and scrape from side to side.
By the way... kudos for doing your research. Lots, and I mean LOTs of people entering the hobby kill many fish before they realize they should do their homework. The book you chose is THE BEST, IMO to start with.

M

mikede

Hi Salty,
Thanks for the input. Tell me something. The predrilling is for the plumbing? is that correct? and is it for filters"?skimmers? little help. How many holes need to be drilled? I will forgo the bowfront due to the great response from SCS. I will start with fowlr, maybe after time(plenty of time) add inverts, and some day maybe a reef, all in years to come.

M

mikede

thanks so much scs. I wasn't even thinking in that direction.

martinc909

Originally Posted by Mikede
Tell me something. The predrilling is for the plumbing? is that correct? and is it for filters"?skimmers? little help. How many holes need to be drilled? I will forgo the bowfront due to the great response from SCS. I will start with fowlr, maybe after time(plenty of time) add inverts, and some day maybe a reef, all in years to come.
Thats correct. You would want to have atleast 2 holes, one for return and the other for draining. That is if you want to get a sump or fuge or trickle or combination of sump/fuge. Sump/fuges are, in my opinion, the best way of filtration. You could keep heaters, media, skimmers, etc in the tank and you'll have more space in the display tank. You would need a return pump if you decide to get a sump/fuge.