Quietest Returm Pump

littlewurm

I received the go a head from my S.O. to have a 200 gallon reef tank planned into the new addition on our home. The only stipulation is that it must be quiet. Currently I have an Iwaki 40RLT as my return pump on my tank. Although it is not loud it does generate some noise that is not pleasing to my wife. Does anyone have any advice on a quiet return pump and any other ways of possibly quieting down the noise generated from a reef tank. Any help would be appreciated.

lurch694u

My buddy has a pump called the quiet one. That is super quiet. You have to put your hand on the pump to feel the vibration just see if it is running.

T

thomas712

Velocity T-3 or T-4, THE QUIETEST PUMP YOU WILL EVER OWN.
You will not hear this pump!
Thomas

i've run quiet ones for years and they are very quiet. they flow 1040 gph at 0 elevation.
since you are having an addition added to your house, you may want to consider having your pumps, chiller and other noise making items in a dedicated "pump room". this way you DON'T have to listen to the midnight hum that you will hear from even the quiet ones. and with a pump room, you can add water, drains, etc to make servicing your tank easier.:D
at our new house, my plan is to run most of the hardware out in the garage which is directly on the other side of the wall where my new tank is going to be. i'll concede that i may have to install small powerheads to get the right current going, but the only things that will be in the room will be lighting equip. water changes and such will occur in the garage where it will not matter as much when i spill or make a mess of something :rolleyes: :eek: :eek: and the wife will be much happier. :) :)

bigmac

I run a Dophin Amp Master 3000 on my tank. You can't hear it over the fans and water flow. I don't think the pumps going to be an issue.

jarvis

The old quiet designs of quiet ones work well an quiet. I think they are about 700 at 4 foot head. The new ones there is already horror storys about them already. I would go with the CSL like Thomas said. 1200 at 3 foot head. Or you can go with an Iwasaki (under 30) The fans make the noise. I got an iwaki 40. Its not to unberable, but women always need something to not be pleased with:p J/K

dreeves

Little Giants here...2 models...one completely silent, other a very low hum...the hummer is the 5mdSC (i think), anyways it is a pressure pump...the other is a 4 series for basic return to tank service. Both pumps pump from basement up through first floor into tanks...excellent pumps for me.