Quieting return pump ?

beefcake

I am using a Mag Drive 1200 and it makes a vibrating noise when its running. I was thinking of putting something under it to cushon the vibrations and quiet the sucker down. What would be a good material to use? I was thinking something spongy but would this build up nitrates ? Would rubber or something be better? Thoughts ?

I think that a foam block from and aqua clear 300 cut to fit your needs would work. I'd imagine that if you're using it just to absorb vibrations and no water is being forced through it then you shouldn't have to worry about nitrates. If it does become an issue, you can easily remove and rinse out the sponge whenever you want to as thaey are pretty sturdy. Another thing that I've used with a lot of tanks where the return pump is submerged in the sump is some cardboard or styro-foam cut to cover the underside of the sump and just have the sump sit on that. Good luck with that and I hope this helps you to queit that thing down!
Myk.

beerman

I have a mag 9.5 and I use a mousepad after I tore off the Bart Simpson picture off of it. It's a lot quieter now since it has no contact with the glass sump.

conundrum

How's this, I wrapped my rio 2100 in nerophrene and tie wrapped it, it is now quiet. I think you will find almost any foam/plastic is inert in the aquarium, just rinse it first to remove any silicone mold release, etc.
"If you think doubling your efforts can compensate for lack of skill, there is no end to what you can't do."