R/O auto topoff

rhomer

I've seen plenty of threads about this, but nothing quite like my situation.
Here goes:
I am planning on installing an RO unit and want to set it up as an auto topoff. My tank is on the main level of the house, and the utility sink is downstairs. I would hook up the RO unit to the utilty sink in the basement and run a water line up to the float valve in my sump. I have a perfect place I could run a water line up the inside of the wall and to the sump of the tank. What I would like to do is put a float valve in the sump directly fed by the RO unit. Would this work?
My guess is there wouldn't be enough pressure, but I'm not sure.
I would also like to tee off that line and fill a trash can with water for pre-mixed saltwater for my water changes. This would give me an easy way to perform water changes.
Please any advice would be appreciated.
Rob

tree

It sounds like what you are planning would work. I would think the water pressure in your basement would be the factor that determines if it would work or not.

shanev

It should work fine. You will loose some flow, but as a top off its not a big concern. I would be concerned witht he float switch malfunctioning, it does happen. If you can figure out a way have a backup switch.

robn

I use a Reef Fanatic sensor unit for my auto-topoff.....it has 2 sensors....if the first one ever fails, there is another sensor about 2" above the first one that is set to kill power to the pump if water touches it and raises it.....plus I have my entire sensor unit plugged into a Timex timer from Lowes.....it is set to go off at 3:00 AM and 3:00 PM for a 1 minute duration....so essentially my topoff system is only on for 2 minutes a day.

tony detroit

Originally posted by rhomer
What I would like to do is put a float valve in the sump directly fed by the RO unit.
I would also like to tee off that line and fill a trash can with water for pre-mixed saltwater for my water changes. This would give me an easy way to perform water changes.

I did the exact same thing. Works fine.