R/O Systems

kirsch66

So I have learned through the New Hobbyist forum that my alage issues are due to my use of tap water. I've been told to investigate R/O systems. So, can somebody give me some info? How do they work, and how much space do I need? I have a 92 gallon tank, and have been changing 20 gallons every other week.
Thanks,
-Kirsch

Try this site in "dry goods".
Do NOT go to Lowe's or HD (I Did). The one I bought makes 9 gallons per day. Get one that will make at least the ammount of water that you use for a water change.
Some people claim that RO/DI water will "strip" the minerals and such from your body. I personnaly don't believe that. (mine makes great coffee).
The kent 35gpd runs around $200 and I would buy if I needed another.

C

cowpoke

Making coffee with DI/RO water is not a problem
I agree it does make the best coffee!!!

O yes it does!:)
My lfs told me thta it is bad for me:notsure: But then again so is smokin', and drinkin' and i wont be quittin' that either:happy:

C

cowpoke

Well it is just pure water no minerals or salts, Some folks will say it draws those out of your system.
But I have never seem any research etc that would back that up.

T

tizzo

I DID get mine from Home Depot, and it probably does only give me 9 or 10 gallons a day, but my water changes are only 20 gal. at a time. I can stick a 5 gallon jug unter the "tap" and leave it open all night, and when I wake up the next mornin', it's full. It's small, outa the way, inexpensive, and since I got it...no diatoms, or nuisance algea. I got the G.E. model with only 3 cartriges (I also have a whole house water softener). It came with all the parts to install, and I haven't wanted to up-grade yet (except maybe add a D/I). Anyway I'm surprisingly pleased with mine... Considering that I HATE GE. At the time it was what I could afford, now I could afford better but I see no reason to replace it.

hey Tizzo, I just got a whole house water softener in November...have you noticed any difference in your tank parameters? I cannot tell any difference.

T

tizzo

Originally posted by rangermonroe
hey Tizzo, I just got a whole house water softener in November...have you noticed any difference in your tank parameters? I cannot tell any difference.

I had the water softener before my tank was ever set up.

mburnickas

I have used RO in the past for coffee, ice cubes etc. I never tried the DI part yet since I never had a RO/DI unit.
So yesterday I bought a Kent Maxxima HI-S 60 Gal per Day for $199 brand new!!! It comes in on Wednesday.....I am very tired of using distilled water and I do not think it is very good water. I hope the Ro/DI is better for the algae.

squidd

Originally posted by Tizzo
I DID get mine from Home Depot, and it probably does only give me 9 or 10 gallons a day, but my water changes are only 20 gal. at a time. I can stick a 5 gallon jug unter the "tap" and leave it open all night, and when I wake up the next mornin', it's full. It's small, outa the way, inexpensive, and since I got it...no diatoms, or nuisance algea. I got the G.E. model with only 3 cartriges ... It came with all the parts to install, and I haven't wanted to up-grade yet (except maybe add a D/I).

I also have the Home Depot 10gpd GE unit...and it does have 3 "cartriges...input filter/membrane/output filter...
I replaced the 5 micron "input" filter with a 1 micron plus carbon filter...and the output filter (where you normaly run carbon) with the Kents DI cartrage (direct fit)...I also added a Kents pressure pump and a 4 gallon pressure tank...
I get about 12-14gpd (half a 20 gallon Rubber Maid trash can overnight) and plenty of "on tap" water to do top off and make coffee...
TDS 0...Phosphate 0...Silicate 0...total cost $140...plus pump...

silentshaw

sorry to hijack the thread but i was searching an auction site and found a 110gpd ro/di filter set up for 115+25 shipping.
it was made by water general mfg co. has any one heard of or used their products?

T

tizzo

Originally posted by Squidd
I also have the Home Depot 10gpd GE unit...and it does have 3 "cartriges...input filter/membrane/output filter...
I replaced the 5 micron "input" filter with a 1 micron plus carbon filter...and the output filter (where you normaly run carbon) with the Kents DI cartrage (direct fit)...I also added a Kents pressure pump and a 4 gallon pressure tank...

Hey thanx!! I will definately try that when I change out!

B

bildotang

But how much is the membrane and DI filter replacements in a year? Do they last long given ok water conditions? Are they expensive?

squidd

I change out the filters every 6 months or so ...1 micron plus carbon =$20 at the hdwr store and the kents resin cartrage $27.00
The membrane is $55 through GE and gets changed once a year...
The 4-5 and 6 stage units may last a little longer, but then you need to factor in the cost of 4, 5 or 6 filters...
I have "realatively" clean water from my well, no iron or calcium buildup in toilet or cooking pans, clear, tastes good, no nitrAte or NitrIte cause I'm in the woods (no farms)...My biggest problem is silicates (20 ppm) and this system cleans that up nicely...
Your results may vary...